Calibrating Epson V700 scanner

<p>I recently purchased an Epson V700 scanner. I have scanned a couple hundred family photos, and I'm not happy with how the colors come out when I order prints.<br>

I have ordered a ColorMunki to calibrate my monitor and printer. I now want to look at calibrating my scanner. Can I calibrate my Epson V700 scanner with the SilverFast SE software that came with the device, or do I have to purchase something else? I'm looking for a cost effective approach.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Liz</p>

<p>no need to calibrate your scanner / printer.</p>

<p>1_make sure your monitor is calibrated with a device, such as a i1display2 (far better than the colormunki taht i return)</p>

<p>2_when you send your images outside, make sure you convert them to sRGB.</p>

<p>3_use the correct icc proifle to print at home (the canned profile are normally pretty good if you use paper / ink / printer from the manufacturer)</p>

<p>basically, return the colormunki, get your 450$ back, get the eye1 for 250$..and save 200$. See i just save you money : )</p>

<p>No, Silverfast's software which comes with the scanner won't calibrate the scanner, but their AI Studio IT8 version will calibrate it with color correct slide(s) (sheet film by type) and print card, purchased separately or from other companies' slides and cards.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Calibration must include the Plane of Optimum Focus in order to obtain sharp scans. Generally the POF lies around 2.4 mm but it may vary up or down depending on your unit. This why the focus adjusters embedded in the scanner holders. Those can vary the plane of focus between 2.00 mm (with the adjusters removed) and 3 mm. Because film is never flat however, that poses a problem with efforts at determining the POF. Fluid mounting ensures a flat plane of focus.<br>

Dan Max<br>

</p>