Cable Release Adapter for Recessed Lensboard

brian_ellis3

I recently purchased a recessed lensboard for use with an 80mm lens

and Copal 0 shutter on a Linhof Master Technika camera. I understand

that a cable release adapter of some sort is needed in order to allow

a normal cable release to be used with a recessed board. Anyone have

any suggestions as to a brand and source for such an adapter?

I've looked at the B&H and Adorama web sites. B&H shows a "General

Brand U Hook Adapter," Adorama shows a "Kaiser "L" Shaped Cable

Release Angle Adapter," both for about $15. Anyone have any

experience with these or have a better suggestion? Both sites also

show a Toyo adapter that sells for about $80, which raises the

question as to why someone would buy the Toyo for that price if the

$15 ones will work as well.

unless you need the fancy/expensive Linhof set-up - try this from http://www.mpex.com

Cable Release Flex Extension 3in. (bottom of the page)

at

http://www.mpex.com/CABLE_RELEASES_AND_ADAPTERS.htm

that will probably work best (as long as you fingers can reach all the other controls)

Works just fine for me on a Toyo recessed bord with a 75mm f8 SA

Hello, Brian,<br>

I use two recessed (12mm) Linhof lensboards # 001016 for my 72XL and 90XL lenses.<br>

Both lensboards have the Linhof cable release socket, and I have no problems with it.<br>

I don't know if the cable release socket is sold separately, but it's IMO the best solution, because you don't need to screw the cable, only to insert it, and the angle trigger works smoothly and perfectly with recessed lensboards.<br>

Note that you'll have to buy also a little adaptator and screw it on each cable release. The system works great and you don't waste a lot of time to screw and unscrew the cable release, just push or pull the red button !<br>

(I never leave the cable release on my lenses, because a shock could break or twist the threading)<br>

Hope this helps.<br>

Regards

Jean Louis - I tried to respond privately to you but photo.net sends private e mail addresses by e mail and I use a fake e mail address here for spam purposes so I'll ask the questions here.

My lensboard is a Linhof board, probably the same one you use for the longer of your two wide angle lenses. Is the "cable release socket" you refer to in your message that little red gizmo in the upper left (as you face the board) corner of the board? If so, my board has that. I always thought that was used for cable releases that run through the grip on a camera set up for hand-holding. If that gizmo is the "cable release socket" is there any advantage to using it and the adapter you mention for someone who doesn't follow your practice of removing the cable releases but instead leaves them permaently on the shutter as I do? In other words, is the only reason to use the Linhof system you describe the ease of removing and replacing the cable releases or are there other reasons to spend what I'm sure must be a fair amount of money for the Linhof system?

Brian,<br>

First, a precision : it's the same lensboard for both lenses.<br>

Yes, the "little red gitzmo" is the cable release socket.

Of course, this system seems less interesting if you leave the cable release permanently on the shutter that if you remove it.<br>

But this system can be used for both methods, as the little pin screwed on the cable and inserted in the socket holds very firmly in all conditions.<br>

<ol>

<li>Screwing and unscrewing the cable release on the shutter each time you use the lens is a hassle. That's sometimes the reason why people always leave it screwed on the shutter.

<li>With the "little red gizmo" as you call it, pushing or pulling the cable release <u>is a matter of a second</u>.

<li>No, the ease of removing and replacing the cable release is not the only reason to use the system. Another reason is the smoothness of the shutter release on recessed lensboards with this system.

<li>I still consider that the cable release permanently screwed may weaken the threading of the shutter, or, as I wrote earlier, break it in the event of a shock, when the lens is manipulated.

</ol>

Brian, I would like to understand why it is so important to have the cable release permanently screwed on the shutter, for another reason than the one I already mentioned.<br>

We generally don't set up a LF camera as an "action camera", where seconds are capital.<br>

Recessed lensboards are already more expensive than flat ones, but the protection of an expensive shutter justifies the (slight) difference of price for the "gizmo".?>)<br>

Just try it !

Here is my experience: Had recessed lensboard with Linhof quick release system on it. Quick release system broke for some reason. Called about replacement with answer of $90 plus dollars. Lensboard is around here somewhere unused. That was 4 or so years ago. Your results may differ.

I don't use Linhof lensboards now but if I did I would have dedicated cable releases for each lens and not use the quick release system.

Hi Jean Louis - Thanks for the response. I'm not sure I completely understand the question you asked me. I do keep a cable release permanently attached to each lens just as a matter of convenience. I buy inexpensive cable releases and carry a spare with me. If one breaks or gets lost I just replace it. The convenience of not having to remove and reattach a cable release every time I make a photograph is to me worth the relatively small cost of multiple cable releases. My cable releases actually seem to last a long time, I can't recall when I last had to replace one because it broke. However, I've never used a recessed lens board before, if the cable release situation becomes expensive maybe I'll switch to your system for that one lens.

I wasn't asking whether getting a recessed lens board with a cable release socket (formerly known as a "little red gizmo") was worth the extra cost. I already have the board and it has the cable release socket on it. I just want to be able to use a cable release with the recessed board but I'm not terribly concerned about whether I use the cable release socket to do that or not, anything that will work and doesn't cost a huge amount of money is o.k. with me.

Brian,<br>

The Cable Release Flex Extension mentioned by Tim Atherton seems very interesting. (http://www.mpex.com/CABLE_RELEASES_AND_ADAPTERS.htm)<br>

You understood that protection of the shutter threading is my principal concern and this kind of accessory may protect the shutter threading and the cable release threading from shocks, if a cable release socket is not used.<br>

It seems also very interesting for larger shutters, where the socket is not available.<br>

On my Compur #3 shutters, I use L-shaped cable release adapters, but I mistrust them for the same reasons. I'll try to find these flex extensions in France.<br>

Thanks, Tim.<br>

I had a photo (can't find it now) of a recessed lensboard that had been drilled so that a normal cable release could be threaded into the shutter, go through the side of the lensboard and back out the front. The holes were plugged for light leaks. It's kind of an extreme measure, though.