C5050zoom internal battery

In the event you may not have the manual, you might want to do the following, per pg 164, a long shot of course. Menu->Setup->All Reset-> See if it is still checked "Off". If the batteries are out for an hour it goes back to default settings per the manual. I see no reference to an internal battery anywhere, it might just have non volatile memory. I would avoid the surgery option. Never heard of this type of thing happening. Bad things happen to good cameras,Steve. Good luck. Hope it is a simple thing. Has been reliable for me.

Thanks Gerry, It still works fine....except for losing all settings and date/time when battery door is opened....even for 5 seconds. It all started after coming back from a flying trip and had to put it in checked luggage for the trip home. I'm starting to wonder if a blast of super x-ray on the luggage could have done something...or just coincidence.

Steve

The same symptoms are exhibited by my out of warranty 5050. When I contacted Olympus they said it was likely the capacitor needing to be replaced and although they couldn�t quote a firm price without seeing the camera, said it might be a little over $100. As a work around they suggested changing the batteries while under DC power if you have an adapter.

BTW, my Olympus has not been on an airplane.

Checked luggage does get bounced around and stomped, especially by Aeroflot galoots and just pink slipped handlers by any airline. If thoroughly wrapped in skivvies, I doubt if it would fare worse than the Sangean short wave radio I always pack. Wife is an extraordinary packer,ought to work for the Matson line.Actually, the C5050 now an older item ,is still a fine machine fast lens,three type of cards,movable LCD-and worth a hundred buck fix ( oh yeah,have Oly check to see if it has one of Sony's recalled sensors) is worth repair at that price. I try to shchlep all my photo equipment in the Lowepro backpack,but it is not always and ever possible. No,Steven,even high gamma radiation would likely cause this effect say the physicists. And at this time if you love it, I say fix the little guy. I still use it regularly for down and sneak shots. Or sell it as is on eBay,bet you find a buyer..Gerry

Thanks everyone,

When I emailed Oly customer support they just emailed me back a canned response saying to send it in for repairs. No suggestions. I noticed that if I program it how I like it and save it to "My Mode" it only will lose the Date/Time on battery change.......actually it still loses everything, but if I switch to "My Mode" it remembers everything except Date/Time. I like the HD construction of the camera and 5 megapixels actually is plenty......I've got awesome 11" x 17" prints from the 5050 and my Epson printer. Some of the new "too small for my taste" umpteen megapixel cameras are so cheaply constructed with flimsy plastic and only SD or equivalent cards( I prefer CF). Kinda hard to decide what exactly the cutoff point is between repair and just buy new? Thanks again for the help.

• 2 months later...

I only have to remove the batterys and I loose date & time and cont/sat/sha settings!

I believe it's an internal capacitor that goes in them. It's the thing the holds the power (for up to 1 hr) while you swap batterys (as has been said above)

I believe it's quite common in several models of Olympus cameras.

Rather than pay Oly to fix a problem I shouldn't be suffering from, I just reset the date, etc whenever the power is interupted! Fine in theory... but I forgot the other day when I was standing in a windswept field! I replaced the batterys, shot a few frames, noticed the sat/sha/cont where at 0/0/0/ and then spent 10 mins trying to get the date/time from my phone and into the camera. [the time/date sequence has to be right if you shoot with 2 or more cameras and 'sort by date' otherwise the images are everywhere]

As it was, I got it an hour out so they had to have the EXIF 're-dated' in Oly Viewer the next day which gave the files a different 'modified' date.

My C5050 must be coming up to 3yrs in Mar/April and it's been like this about 8 months now.

Some perinent threads:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1008&message=14546703

and

http://www.moon-stone.com/5050/progress.htm

and

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1008&message=14548994

Taking a Cx0x0 apart http://www.jr-worldwi.de/photo/mod_oly.html

Exploded parts diagram for a c5050

http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/PDFs/Private/Digital/CD-Series/C-5050ZOOM.pdf

It's a long time I've looked into this so can't readily find the capacitor in the C5050 parts diagram.

Anyway, I hope it's of help.

This place has oly parts.

http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID2025592DD239495-Replacement-Parts/Olympus/Digital-Camera-Parts-by-Model.aspx

Good luck

http://www.pbase.com/ociepka/image/43265569

The capacitor is located differently than in earlier cameras (or on the link I enclosed above) It's actually right inside the camera and quite difficult to get at.. needing removal of the rear-half of the case and a curcuit board!

Then Olympus won't sell you the actual capacitor part.. only the complete curcuitboard it's fitted to!

I'm going off Olympus is a big way...

I have had a 2020 ,3030, 4040, and now a 5050. This problem was something that all had

and for what it is worth from the very start. I just assumed that is how it is and shot with

power supply and actually kept the use of batteries to an absolute minimum.

Maybe we should sue Olympus!

• 2 months later...

You can get the replacement capacitor from DigiKey. Go to www.digikey.com and search on P11069CT-ND. They're $2.19 apiece in small quantities, but you'll have to pay a $5 handling fee for small orders and shipping, of course. As long as I was paying $12 for shipping and handling, I ordered 5 of them.

I'm going to tackle this job myself and save the "spares" for later.

-Rob

• 1 month later...
Rob's Digi-Key part number is exactly the right part. I just replaced the capacitor on my camera and it works great. No more memory loss. One note on the procedure though. The pictures at the link above that Paul responded with (http://www.pbase.com/ociepka/image/43265569) are a bit deceptive. The pictures are completely accurate but do not call out all the cables etc that must be removed to get to the circuit board. There are a minimum of 6 flat ribbon cables that have to come off the circuit board as well as one keyed power cable. You also have to take off the plastic piece that covers the XD slot. The circuit board has to slide to the right a bit to get it out of the case. I also removed the second screw under the AV OUT/USB cover. Once the circuit board is out where you can work on the capacitor, its replacement is easy. Be sure to check and recheck the solder joints when you are done soldering. Putting things back together is a delicate process. Ribbon cables MUST be fully seated and locked in place. Double check that all the cables are correctly seated and that you donメt pinch them while reattaching the back cover. When I was done changing the capacitor I put batteries in the camera and set the date etc. I pulled out the batteries, put them back in andナ. all the settings were lost. . I set everything again and started looking at the posts in the forum again. I didnメt find anything new but thought Iメd try pulling the batteries again. W00t! All settings were retained. The lesson here is that the capacitor takes a bit to charge. If anyone has any questions please let me know and Iメd be happy to answer them.

Hi, I just signed up to photo.net after looking for answers to the dead capacitor problem.

I use a C740UZ and I believe the capacitor for the 5050 will also be suitable for the C740.

My problem is I live in Australia and the shipping costs from DigiKey are US$27 plus the

component. No one in Australia stocks that particular capacitor - I've been emailing

stockists here and they are not willing to get it. I wonder if anyone in the USA would be

kind enough to sell me one of these capacitors. I recently received a coin I bought on ebay

from the USA in a JiffyLite padded bag that cost 98 cents US airmail postage. I am willing

to pay US$10 if someone would post to me one of these capacitors. I can pay by Paypal.

Anyone interested in helping me and laying off some of your own shipping costs for the

capacitors that you have already purchased?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi Greg, I too am in Australia and have an Olympus digicam suffering a capacitor failure. I'd like to know where you found a source for the spare part (hopefully not at Olympus prices). So if you'd be so kind as to let me know, I'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks, Ray

• 1 year later...

Hi Ray and Greg, I'm in Australia and the postage costs from DigiKey have risen astronomically. Here are quoted postage costs!

UPS World Wide Express $78.21 Prepaid and Add

Federal Express International Priority $81.02 Prepaid and Add

I've searched for an Australian supplier for the right capacitor with no luck so far. If anyone could help me with where to find it in Oz I'd be most grateful.

Regards, Tim