C41 Developing at home

<p>I think the Tetenal you refer to is dev, blix, and stabilizer. It's typically thought of as a two-bath kit though. The Rollei is only different in that the bleach and fix are separate and in theory, should yield negatives with more of the silver removed in fixing. That means they should last longer. Tetenal does make a 3-bath E-6 kit but that's for slide film.</p>

<p>I use the Tetenal for C-41 and it works great. Ridiculously long shelf life when mixed, especially if you're willing to lose a tiny bit of quality as it ages. The 1 Liter kit is supposed to be good for 8-10 rolls but I've used it for at least three times that, and as most of my negatives are scanned and seldom printed, the small loss in quality can be corrected digitally if need be.</p>

<p>I agree on the shelf life of Tetenal when mixed. I don't remember when I mixed it, I just use it:) And as with Patrick S the maximum number of films figure is passed long ago. Even from start I usually have to do some colour/hue correction so I don't mind a bit of post-processing.<br>

Haven't tried the Rollei kit though.</p>

<p>Only Fuji-Hunt and Kodak know the "real" C-41 formula, which is a shared trade secret between Fuji and Kodak. The Rollei kit is repackaged Fuji-Hunt. Photographers Formulary kit is repackaged Kodak.<br>

Any other kit will not produce the full capabilities of the film, you won't get optimal inter-layer effects, etc. You'll still get color pictures, but you won't get the most out of your film. It's not "bad", but it's not optimal.<br>

The other problem with the other kits is that they use "blix", which is one mixture that is both bleach and fix. There's no way to make a "blix" that isn't in a violent struggle of self-destruction. They do that because they were originally formulated as "press" kits, for working press photographers who needed to process film in a hurry in the field. The life of the solutions wasn't important in this application. Quick mixing, and quick processing, were the design goals.<br>

There have been complaints about poor packaging of the Rollei kits, leaking bottles, oxidized chemicals. This hasn't been a problem with the Photographers Formulary kit.</p>

• 2 weeks later...