[C330f]Flash questions

emmanuel_b1

<p>Hi there,<br>

Very new (again, i owned some years ago a Flexaret VII) to TLR wolrd, I just purchased a C330f in good conditions with viewfinder, 80mm, 135mm, 180mm, filters, caps..<br>

Yesterday I bought a 55mm I'm waiting for.<br>

I have some questions.<br>

1/It is said to never have X-M switch on M position, is it only for flash use or it doesn't matter without?<br>

2/I own also a 645 pro TL I use with Metz 45 CL4 flash, connected with SCA adapter for TTL usage.<br>

Can I use this flash with the C330f, I'm not sure to have a chord for that.<br>

Same question with another flash I have, a Metz 40MZ2 used with my both Contax AX and 167MT.<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>Shutter flash sync settings, any camera:<br>

X- electronic flash any type.<br>

F/X- gas filled flash bulbs, electronic flash, 5 millisecond delay.<br>

M,black- flash bulbs using shutter speeds in black only, 15-20 millisecond delay.<br>

M, red- flash bulbs using shutter speeds marked in red only.<br>

Delay is the time from when the sync makes contact to fire the flash to when the shutter reaches full open.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It should not matter but the user manual, http://www.butkus.org/chinon/mamiya/mamiya_c330f_prof/mamiya_c330f_prof.htm , says to leave it in the X position if you are not using flash bulbs.</p>

<p>I cannot tell what flash socket is on the lens. but if a PC socket use http://www.metz.us/pc-cord-for-45cl1-3-4-and-60ct4 for the 45CL4; I cannot find any info on Metz site http://www.metz.us/ for the 40MZ2.</p>

<p>I finally found the standard chord delivered with my 45CL4, and it works perfectly with my C330f<br>

If it helps I can upload picture of it.<br>

One thing I don't understand is the speed to use with flash.<br>

It seems it works even till 1/500??<br>

Usually synchro speed is as slower as 1/60.<br>

Maybe it is due to central shutter?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>One thing I don't understand is the speed to use with flash.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The film must be fully uncovered for the duration of the flash or the flash duration be as long as the exposure time. <br>

A leaf shutter on X setting triggers the flash when the shutter is at least 95% of full open therefore a 1/1000 flash duration occurs while the shutter is full open and ends before the shutter closes down to the aperture setting in use.</p>

<p>A focal plane shutter uses two curtains and sweeps the film plane with a slit to give an even exposure. Slower speeds of 1/125 or slower may have a slit as wide as the film plane depending on the vintage of the camera and its shutter design. Faster times will only have a portion of the film plane exposed at a time therefore a 1/1000 flash duration will only expose a small portion of the film.</p>

<p>Unless you dig up some flashbulbs, the X setting is the only setting you will ever use on this and most other cameras. The M setting (which is for M-class flashbulbs) is so out of date that even in the 1970s (when I shot daily with a C-33)) many photographers taped or glued the M-X switch into the X position so they could not accidentally move it. The shutter on the C-330 is a leaf shutter, so you can use any speed up through 1/500. The M-X switch should have no affect on pictures without flash, but I would tape it into the X position and leave it there. You can use pretty much any flash that has a PC cord with this camera. Just plug it into the PC connector on the lens.</p>