C2 back, no fogging but paper backing frame numbers showing on negs

brit

I was going to call the thread "Magic" because its the only

explanation I can see.

My film is not fogged. My backgrounds to my shots are prefectly

plain and when looking at some negs I have developed I can clearly

see the numbers from the film backing paper on my uniform

backgrounds. How the hell does that happen? I must say this is not

the first time I've seen them either. I am bemused!

I don't even get this problem using my old Bessa 6x9 with a peep

hold to the roll film back.

Hold the negative strip back on the backing paper where it was originally. Do the numbers line up with the ones on the opposite side of the strip? If not, perhaps it's a chemical reaction between the ink of the numbers and the film emulsion -- it's been observed before.

Well John I think you MUST have it there. I've almost burned my eyeballs out clutching at straws trying to see through the backing paper against a bright light. Absolutely no transmission on the Fuji Acros paper backing. Then I saw your post.

I've cut the negs but rough and dirty I have the frame number 14 from the backing paper almost directly above the film edge frame number 18. There does seem to be a 'lag' of the paper backing numbers vs actual film edge numbers of about 2 to 2.5 inches.

There's not many things surprise me but that has! Inks on paperbacks that affect the film! Aaarghh! This was with Fuji Across (EI 100)in ID-11 stock btw. Has this effect got a name? I'd like to read more about it particularly if I can reduce it by deving in another soup. I don't think that's likely though :( .

But hey..glad for your input. At least I know I'm not to fault..which is something off my mind.

Because of the offset of the numbers I strongly suspect that the ink is having an effect on the film as it is wound on the take-up spool. This can easily happen if the film gets too warm, or damp. I use Acros almost exclusively in my 2 1/4 and have never had this problem that is why I suspect dampness or temperature as the culprit.

Another possibility is that the tension on the supply spool is too great causing the film to be wound too tightly on the take-up spool.

Jim