"C" focusing on Nikon D300 Doesn't work

hoi_kwong

<p>I had my D300 with "C" auto-focusing shooting mode. Yesterday, I was taking kids' high speed moving picture in the Easter Amusement Park's mechanical octopus ride. I set D300 to "CL" continuous shooting, half pressed the shutter release, following kids' spinning boxes. However, when they arrived my designated spot, I pressed the shutter release fully but the camera didn't react at all. Eventually, after I re-set it to manual focus mode, the continuous shuttering was working. <br>

Did I miss something to fail the "C" auto-focus mode ? I'm going to shoot school boys' ice hockey game next week. Without the "C" code, how can I catch those rapidly stop, move and turn high speed motion ? </p>

<p>I don't know about the D300, but the D2H continuous AF did not track and adjust focus *while* photos were being taken. As soon as the shutter was engaged the AF stopped making adjustments for moving subjects. I would need to release pressure on the shutter release button, then reengage, in order to continue tracking moving subjects.</p>

<p>Other in-camera choices can affect AF: whether the camera is set to focus priority, release priority or a combination of the two; the area covered by AF; whether the AF is set to closet subject or center subject; etc. Again, I haven't used the D300 but all of the other Nikon dSLRs I've tried had variations of these adjustments that could influence AF performance.</p>

<p>I believe the half-pressed shutter locks the AF at that point. </p>

<p>+1 Eric A about de-coupling the AF and the Shutter Button.</p>

<p>+1 Shun's note about Focus or Release Priority. It's a very handy feature, but you've got to know what <em><strong>you</strong> </em>want the camera to do and when.</p>