Buying Mamiya 645 piece by piece?

waldo_lee

In reviewing prices for used Mamiya 645 Supers and Pros at KEH, I

notice that it can be less expensive assembling a camera by buying

components as opposed to buying an assembled "outfit," and that's

assuming all items are at the same quality level. eBay makes this

even more appealing (acknowledging all the caveats about eBay

purchases). Is there any reason why assembling a Mamiya 645 isn't a

good appoach? After all, it's a modular camera.

No reason at all not to buy piecemeal.I would avoid the Supers and go for the M645 or the Pro's.The Super's had some issues that might show up in a used unit.Dont ever buy bargain grade finders or bodies either,the finders have seperations & the bodies are used up and often need rebuilding.I have purchased $1000's of used P67 & M645 stuff from KEH over the years,and have never had any trouble.Bargain grade glass is fine too,they just have cosmetic issues.Im a "user" and dont care what stuff looks like.

The only real advantage to buying a complete outfit is if it's cheaper than buying by the piece. If you buy by the piece you can tailor the outfit to your needs. I would recommend the 80mm 1.9 as a good/fast normal lens, for example, and the motor winder is all but essential as far as I'm concerned. Without it, the balance and handling are awkward in comparison. It's a very good system, and if it had a rotating back I might still have mine. Good luck.

I'll second Jay's comments and am wondering if the parts of the outfit aren't more used than the individual pieces. It's pretty much common wisdom that the best way to buy (or sell) a system camera is to get a normal lens, a finder, and a back. Later, you can add components as you need and can afford. I bought my 645 Pro with a 55-110 zoom, but later added the 80 f1.9 and the 35 f2.8. The motor winder is essential for handholding, because the shutter release is in a really awkward spot.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I received my piece-by-piece purchase not long ago, and I've already returned it

for a refund. The prism and the body did not fit together properly, and I actually had

to squeeze them together with my fist while I worked in order to keep the electrical

contacts in touch with each other. Failure to do this resulted in meter and shutter

failure. Since my KEH salesperson wasn't too helpful about getting it repaired/

replaced, I threw up my hands in frustration and returned it for a full refund just

before the 14 day period expired.

Now I'm going to take my money elsewhere. Can anybody recommend a place that

sells used mamiya with competitive prices? Here in my part of the country (Boston),

the used equipment stores are somewhat expensive, at least compared to KEH. Of

course the customer service is probably much better, and at least there's a face I can

talk to if things go wrong.

• 1 month later...

Hi Waldo:

Drop me a line and let me know what you need and are budgeting for your purchase. Contrary to one opinion, a Mamiya Super 645 is one of the more sought after and better 645's. The can actually cost more than a newer Pro model.

The difference in the three models: 645 Super: no self timer. 645 Pro: has self timer. 645 Pro TL: Has self timer and TTL metering capability for flash. The Pro TL is designed for specific Metz brand flash heads. You need an additional adapter to use all flashes other than Metz, and even adapters for most of those.

Get a Super or a Pro with a Sunpak 622 flash. You'll have a great setup, without the cost associated with a Pro TL model. It's really only a name.