Buying at a Local Store or Online?

michael_w7

<p>Hi Everyone,</p>

<br />

<p>So I am going to start purchasing some nicer lens and a this question came to mind. Should I get the lens from a local store or an online retailer? These were the things going through my head. I will be buying some high quality, high precision L series lens and as everyone knows they aren't cheap. Should I buy it at a local store and pay MSRP(or very close to that) or get it at a discount usually on a reputable online retailer like B&H, Adorama or Amazon. At first I was thinking I would surely go with the one with the better price, but then it dawned on me that my lens would be delivered from the online retailer and that it would be subject to unknown handling by the carrier. If the carrier is not careful, my lens might be subject to very bad things and I would not know it. But can I really expect the lens that the local store gets to be delivered to them and handled with the utmost care? Please chime in and tell me if my concerns are legitimate and which route you would go with and why?</p>

<br />

<p>Thanks everyone, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.</p>

<br />

<p>Michael </p>

<p>It all depends on what your comfort level is and how much you want to support your local camera stores. If the price is relatively close, I like to support the local guys. Unfortunately there is usually a substantial difference in price so I usually buy online and have many times with no issues. If I was spending over $1000 on a new lens, my need to handle it before I plopped down that much cash would probably out weigh my eternal need for the best deal. That said, I rarely buy new. If you are careful who you buy from there are outstanding deals to be had on basically mint glass, to the point where sometimes you find yourself having to chose between two, buy them used and get them both. If warrantees are important to you, make sure you check before you buy online. I have never had an issue with a poorly packed lens(although I am sure someone has). In the end it basically comes down to saving substantial money versus the security of a warranty and a local person to go to if something is wrong, only you can choose what is right for you.</p>

<p>Michael, I have purchased L series lenses online from two retailers that gave me good service. Lensrentals.com and Usedcameras.com. The lenses from both retailers were in better condition than their online description. Any flaws were just as described (all cosmetic). The packaging from both was excellent. Lensrentals.com also has a no questions 3 day return policy and they provided a free return label complete with a return tracking number in the package with my lens purchase. <br>

It seems you have some concerns regarding carriers. FedEx and UPS are great, USPS is sloooooow. DHL has crappy tracking and once a package gets to the US border it transfers to USPS. Regardless of the carrier, INSURE the package. BTW....Lenrentals.com will require a signature delivery!<br>

If money is not a concern it does not matter where you purchase. I wanted quality at a reduced price and I have found these two online dealers to be reputable. I have also dealt with all of the retailers that you mentioned above plus Calumet without complaints. There are many more safe online dealers and I am sure that other people will respond with suggestions for your upcoming purchases. Good luck.</p>

<p>My closest store sells their gear that I have already purchased for about 20% more. I have had good luck with online retailers. But if something went wrong it would be nice to take locally. But I think I can take my canon gear to any authorized canon dealer. They might not be able to fix it onsite but they will set up the RMA and all that.</p>

<p>I have ordered 1 camera, 5 lenses (most are L lenses), and a number of accessories from B&H and everything was in working order when I got it. Even the damaged box with the camera and 2 lenses(one side of the box was only filled with padding and that was the side that was damaged). Furthermore if you go to a local store and place an order with them for an item they don't have in stock, they might order it from a major retailer (like B&H). In that case there is little difference in handling. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>but then it dawned on me that my lens would be delivered from the on line retailer and that it would be subject to unknown handling by the carrier.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This concern should also apply to your local camera store. The companies used by a quality retailer to deliver you purchase are generally the same ones that delivered the lens to your local store. Furthermore camera manufactures carefully package the lens or cameras at the factory to protect it from any handling occurring during the delivery. The primary factors <em>I think</em> you should consider are:</p>

<ul>

<li>How important it is to you to test the lens before you buy?</li>

<li>Reputation of the seller.</li>

<li>Return and warranty service after the sale. </li>

<li>customer support.</li>

<li>Price.</li>

</ul>

<p>I've purchased the majority of my "L's" from a local retailer. In most cases, they are a bit higher, but I like ability to be able to put the lens on my camera and try it out before I buy it. There are bad copies of all lenses (but it's not a prevalent as some believe) so putting it on my camera is a big plus for me. The local retailer I use is not a big chain, but they do a good volume, have a very knowledgeable staff, a really good selection of all types of lenses, bodies, flashes, peripherals and most of the professionals in the area go there. I'm also a bit impatient, but would not pay big bucks for speedy delivery. When I decide I want something and have researched it, I want it now!</p>

<p>I'm also not afraid to buy used lenses from Craig's List. Again, I can put the lens on my camera before I fork out major bucks.</p>

<p>I've also had very good experiences on-line. I purchased my 2nd DSLR (XTi) from Ebay (which turned out to be a New York store). About two minutes after I pushed the "buy it now" button, I realized I had chosen the package with a kit lens I didn't want. I called the retailer and explained what lens I wanted. They were happy to cancel the original order and send me that package I really wanted. It came two days later and everything was perfect. I saved quite a bit of money over what I could have purchased that package for locally.</p>

<p>That's my $.02 worth.......M. Scott Clay</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm not sure I could have done that with an on-line store.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm not sure that you could have done that with most local stores either. I can just imagine the look on a Jessop's assistant's face if I tried that one. Whereas under most country's distance selling regulations you have the right to return something you've bought by phone or internet for a short time.</p>

<p>Seriously I virtually never set foot in a camera store, local or otherwise. I get better service, better stockholding, more help, and much better prices online. Unless and until retailers come up with some way to add value to compensate for all of that I see little hope for them. I don't expect "internet" handling and packaging to be poor or that retailers have any meaningful, advantage in this area, and it isn't something I worry about. I imagine that my equipment suffers more trauma in a week in the back of my car than it ever does packed in foam in a truck. You might also want to consider how many journeys the kit has made before you buy it, because not all store branches will be supplied direct from the importer.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm not sure I could have done that with an on-line store.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm not sure that you could have done that with most local stores either. I can just imagine the look on a Jessop's assistant's face if I tried that one. Whereas under most country's distance selling regulations you have the right to return something you've bought by phone or internet for a short time.</p>

<p>Seriously I virtually never set foot in a camera store, local or otherwise. I get better service, better stockholding, more help, and much better prices online. Unless and until retailers come up with some way to add value to compensate for all of that I see little hope for them. I don't expect "internet" handling and packaging to be poor or that retailers have any meaningful, advantage in this area, and it isn't something I worry about. I imagine that my equipment suffers more trauma in a week in the back of my car than it ever does packed in foam in a truck. You might also want to consider how many journeys the kit has made before you buy it, because not all store branches will be supplied direct from the importer.</p>

<p>Another vote for on-line. All my current gear was purchased from Adorama (xxD bodies, L-lenses, etc.). No problems at all. FWIW, packaging is excellent. I just got a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS and it came wrapped in a heavy plastic bag, with tons of air-pillows around it. Remember that your local retailer probably gets high-end stuff delivered by the same carriers, in small orders, and packed very similarly.</p>

<p>One other thing to consider is taxes.</p>

<p>Online gives you the “advantage” (generally) of “saving” money by

not paying taxes.</p>

<p>But many (most?) cities, counties, and even states are getting hit with a double whammy. Not

only is the economy down in general, suppressing buying and therefore reducing sales tax

revenue, but more people are buying online and not paying taxes at all. Tempe, the city where I live,

is likely going to have to lay off workers for the first time in its history, including beat cops and

firemen. The transit system may have to be cut, quite literally, in half. That’s entirely due to

shortfalls in sales tax revenue in just the past couple years (at a time when the population itself has

been growing).</p>

<p>I’ve been trying to convince people that we should switch from sales taxes to property

taxes, since they’re both less prone to economic fluctuations and better track demand for

services (as well as less regressive), but I don’t have a whole lot of hope that anybody will pay any attention to me.</p>

<p>But, in the mean time, I buy locally whenever it’s available locally and the price is within

shouting distance of what Amazon is charging.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>

<p>As much as I'd like to support my local camera store, the price difference to Adorama or B&H is generally too large (even before taxes), e.g. $ 280 on a $ 2120 Canon lens. The difference can be larger for accessories although currently no difference for an EOS 7D body. I also get more product information on an internet sales site than from a store clerk.</p>

<p>I'm fortunate to have a great camera shop locally, and it's a pleasure to do business there. I do not mind so much paying them more than online (it's sometimes v close), plus the sales tax: when a faulty circuit breaker started a wiring blaze it was the quick response of firemen that saved the day...and my house! Spending money here in town has its benefits...<br>

...and its limits: when a local motorcycle shop wants $50 OVER official msrp for an Arai helmet and will turn down my cash-in-hand offer of msrp because "someone who wants the best would be willing to pay more for it" then such a frontal assault on my intelligence trumps any good nature...</p>

<p>My local retailer is Penn Camera, a DC/VA/Maryland chain, and their prices and return policies match B&H and KEH. B&H's in store service might be better, but I'm quite pleased with not having to pay return shipping costs. I order things from B&H and KEH that they don't have. I can drive to three different Penn stores in less than a half hour and to the more pro oriented store in DC in less than an hour (probably less than a half hour, but I have to pay for parking there). Penn also has its used stock inventory on line and can transfer merchandise and rental gear between stores (E Street had 36 rolls of Kodachrome that someone ordered and didn't pick up, and four of those are now in my refrigerator).</p>

<p>RE<br />"One other thing to consider is taxes.<br />Online gives you the “advantage” (generally) of “saving” money by not paying taxes."<br /><br />Here in California the law *requires* one to pay tax on out of state purchases.<br />Most lay folks do not pay.<br /><br />If you are a small fry you can "get away" with this infraction; you tend to be under the state's radar.<br /><br />If you are actually a business; then the chance of getting audited rises.<br />The state (Calif) and many others are is running a huge deficts. In Calif. 85 Percent of the state employees are unionized. Many can retire at 50 and get 90 percent of their pay. This money has to come from somewhere;' thus you the tax cheater ar a fair game to catch; snare; and be made to "pay up" your illegal ways.<br /><br />The lay and dumb may think this is a petty matter; ie tax envasion.<br />Having been caught myself In California; today I just pay the darn taxes. When caught you have to pay the back sales taxes on all the out of state crap you bought where you are the *end user*; ie not reselling, Then they add a penality; then they add interest. They may pop you 3 years down the road and that 11 percent tax you did not pay becomes double; when one included penalities and interest.<br /><br />One of your ex-employees; or a customer; or just a general audit may snare your tax evasion.<br />You may brag about tax evasion on the internet; or a local store gets tired of you looking at gadgets; then you buy it on line; then you want the local store to show you how it works; or to handle warranty issues.<br /><br />***Weight the savings of not paying sales taxes versus being raped; racked over the coals; lost time with an audit; paying back taxes, interest and penalties.<br /><br />With the sorry state of the economy and states running in the red; reviewing old state sales tax laws and auditing folks is a decent source of state income.<br /><br />Publicly stating that one is going to evade sales taxes; or drive 120 MPH at noon on I-5 at mile marker ABC above Acme, California gives the crafty folks "clues" of where to harvest some fines.<br>

It really is NOT up to the out of state retailer to collect your states sales taxes. A state auditor does not care if you are ignorant of basic sales tax laws. You as a tax cheat are to be harvested; you get caught; whine. They are a dry lot of folks. Each infraction gets them excited; they dig for more taxes to be paid. If you want to bew really dumb; send a letter to the tax folks and say you are avoiding sales taxes!</p>

<p>I try to by local whenever I can but I do recognize the sometimes large price difference. When I buy and I know exactly what I want without help from anyone at a local store, I will buy online. If I am not sure and I want to try out and compare different items, then the local store is invaluable and will get the sale because of the service they provide. If use a local store to help make your decision and then buy online, to me that is very low.<br>

Phil</p>

<p>I personally buy mostly online, from KEH, B&H and occasionally Adorama (no connection to any of them). They ship quickly and my packages are packed professionally. B&H always sends my stuff in as small boxes as possible with air-filled plastic insulation. KEH bubble wraps like nobody's business, and I don't remember about Adorama.</p>

<p>Also, I contract for a large air freight company, and I see every night how packages are handled. Let me explicitly say I'm not recommended for or against any freight company, and I ship all of my stuff through the company to which I'm referring in this text. However. "Fragile" packages aren't treated any differently when they are tossed in the hold of a plane. I've seen handlers drop packages, toss them on the belt loader, etc. Plus they're all jammed up every which way inside the freight cans too.<br>

Your best insurance is to thoroughly check your lenses when you get them and call right away if anything is wrong.</p>

<p>I've done both and there are advantages and disadvantages to both, as others have mentioned, but there's something I can add to the soup:</p>

<p>I purchased my last lens from a local shop for two reasons. First, they have some really great Photoshop and Lightroom classes and I wanted to support them and, second, we opened the box, put the lens on my camera, shot a bunch of pictures and then looked at them on the shop's computer to make sure the lens was a good copy. You can't do that online.</p>

<p>Also, my state tries to charge tax if you buy online. I don't know how many people pay it, but it's on the tax form.</p>