Buying an M3

jethroafrica

Hi, new poster here!

I recently got the chance to buy a Leica M3 Single Stroke for $511. The body has been recently CLA'd by arguably the best repairman in my country.

The thing is, it has its problems. Aside from a few dents and scratches, there's also what I think is separation on the viewfinder (my friend thinks it's de-silvering). When I look through the viewfinder (of course with a lens attached), it is clear and the rangefinder patch is contrasty.

Is the camera worth it? Is the black 'separation' thing on the viewfinder repairable?

Photos here: Leica M3

There is supposed to be some degree of contrast between the viewfinder and rangefinder patch, but not really substantial. If it was recently CLA'd, I'd contact the repairperon and ask him/her specifically what the condition of the VF/RF patch was and if they either did or recommended cleaning, resilvering or replacing the reflecting surface (mirror/prism). Personally if everything was OK I'd say the $511 was a fair price...if not, I'd ask the seller for a discount as the repair where I live typically costs $1-200 during a CLA.

... I recently got the chance to buy a Leica M3 Single Stroke for $511. ... there's also what I think is separation on the viewfinder (my friend thinks it's de-silvering). When I look through the viewfinder (of course with a lens attached), it is clear and the rangefinder patch is contrasty.

Is the camera worth it? Is the black 'separation' thing on the viewfinder repairable? ...

If the RF is otherwise contrasy and the separation doesn't bother you, I'd say go for it. The RF separation is the reason it's selling for $511 instead of ~$900. But keep in mind Leica users are particular about these things and you may find it difficult to sell down the road. So plan on keeping it for the long-term.

It can be repaired or replaced (if cannibalized from another camera), but the all-in cost would be far more than the camera would be worth in this case.

Also note it does not have its original body covering (no big deal).

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...” 

– Yogi Berra

It's hard to know what 'substantial' means in everyone's mind, but my M2s both are very easy to focus with more than enough contrast to do it. I never felt that way about my IIIf and recently sent it in for service and I hope it will be better when it returns to me. But the M2s are as easy to focus as my M10.

If you're buying this to use it and don't care about it as an investment and it is fully functional with a recent CLA from a reliable repair source then I would go for it. You haven't mentioned the lens which appears to be an f/1.5 Summarit. I owned one of these many years ago and it was pretty poor wide open with low contrast and flare problems. A Yashica M42 screw mount 50 f/1.4 that I had at the same time ran rings around the Summarit wide open. The Summarit started to sharpen up a lot at around f/8. If you want a "vintage look" this might be your lens. But it isn't a Summicron or Summilux by any stretch of the imagination, as even Leica would tell you if you asked.

• 2 weeks later...

Did the lens come with it for $511? If so- you got a great deal. If not, a good deal. Youxin Ye can replace the prism if necessary. I would use the camera and be happy with the price. If it gets worse, can be repaired.

Leica Summarit:

Showcase - Leica 50mm f/1.5 Summarit

The Summarit is subject to internal haze, easily cleaned. It is optimized for F2.8. I modified mine for F1.5.

Tales from the Greasy Side: Leica 5cm F1.5 Summarit, optimize for wide-aperture

I have two of them, and a 5cm F1.5 Xenon- the predecessor of the Summarit.