edd_nava

Hello,

I am really skeptical about buying used or refurbished items, especially when

the cost is high. I am looking for my first dslr and back when I worked for

best buy in 2004 I wanted the 20d. Now its several years later and still want a

canon dslr.

So I made my mind to buy it(Canon 40d) a Circuit City with the no interest

until 2010. But saw a canon 20d on backpage.com (Craigslist.org) type site. for

a 20d for $500 with less than 1000 shots and all accessories mint condition.

Bottom line: What do I look for when buying used or checking out the used item?

Anything I should look for or now just by looking at it and turning it on? I

never owned a dslr or spent much time with one. Any advice will be great.

IMO I would get the 40D or a new XTi. when it comes to a camera body its like buying a

computer and I would never buy a used computer. No matter how well you look it over you

can have a lemon. At least with a new one you have a warranty. I think used lenses are ok but

its still a gamble but its much easier to check the quality of a lens over a body

I know what you mean Tommy.

Thanks for the link Jim. The only lens I have is from my canon rebel 2000 film camera. And the guy is including a 2gb Lexar card. Should I bring my own?

Anything else you suggest Jim? Geez, this is frustrating when it's my first dslr. I feel safe getting a new 40d, but saving over $500 could get a great lens.

Can't think of anything else to check but don't take that as an exhaustive list. I'd bring your own card just in case his goes missing and you haven't got a card to test with. What lens have you got from the rebel 2000? Remember with the 20d that will in effect have a focal length of 1.6x longer than the equivalent on the rebel 2000.

You can't believe them about the 1,000 shots. It's impossible to tell for use since the camera picks up the number of shots from the most recent card it had in it. Then again, a new shutter is only $250 from Canon Svc.

But then you're up to $750, for $800 you could get something new XSi or 30D.

Also, keep in mind that 20D's refurbed for $500 are everywhere. They come up all the time, this is not a special deal. Any real camera store will have them from time to time.

As Trebor said above its not that special a deal so don't feel pressured to buy now. I have seens 30D's for not much more

on Craigslist.

All I can say is try it out and you may get lucky. I sold a Rebel 300D that worked fine so the guy who purchased from me

got a good deal because I babied it but on the other hand its used and all electronics usually fail in time ( the question is

how much time )

On another note if you want a good lens that affordable for that camera check out:

1. Tamron 28-75 2.8 - around $350

2. Canon 18-55 IS - I believe around $180 ( make sure not to get the old kit lens you want the newer IS ver )

3. Canon 50 1.8 - around $75

He's willing t show it to me.

Does the 40d with 28-135 lens sounds ok for $1363.99?

I would like to sell that lens and save up for 2.8 lens

I want that 50mm 1.8 but found it for $85 on adorama. Where is it cheaper? I think I'll end up getting a new 40d and finance it with no interest until 2010 at CC. What kind of filter for that 50mm?

Thanks again.

<p>Just for example, Adorama has a couple of refurbished items in your rage:</p>

<ul>

<li><a href="http://www.adorama.com/Refby.tpl?refby=rflAID062012&sku=ICA30DR">30D Body, $650</a></li>

<li><a href="http://www.adorama.com/Refby.tpl?refby=rflAID062012&sku=ICA20DKR">20D with 18-55mm lens, $700</a></li>

<li><a href="http://www.adorama.com/Refby.tpl?refby=rflAID062012&sku=ICA30DKR ">30D with 18-55mm lens, $700</a></li>

</ul>

<p>Note that the kit lenses here are all the old non-IS version.</p>

I have the 20D and it's getting a bit long in the tooth now. The 30D has the updated LCD, RGB Histogram and a few others things in additiona to being a model still solf by Canon. You can get a brand new one at B&H for $799 for full fcatory warranty. I don't think a used 20D for $500 is worth it against that.

Good luck!

My .02 cents: As long as you get a fair price and everything's on the up-and-up and in working order, I wouldn't sweat it as far as the camera failing. Also if you buy it from a reputable dealer they'll let you return it if something's amiss when it arrives.

It's not that they don't fail... Of course that can happen. But most of the things that are the most likely to fail, i.e. a shutter, aren't terribly expensive to repair.

Since you mentioned this would be your first DSLR, perhaps you've been a film shooter. The money you'll save on buying and developing film will quickly offset almost any likely repair bill you may encounter.

I still have a 10D that I bought at least 6 years ago and it's never had a problem. I also have a 20D I bought not long after it was introduced - never a problem. Ironically the most expensive camera I every bought (1Ds2) has had the most problems but Canon fixed everything, under warranty, even after the warranty had expired in my case.

I'd also agree that, while the 28-135mm IS lens is OK... one can do better. It's hard to go wrong with any Canon 50mm prime and you can always "zoom with your feet". There are some excellent EF-S lenses out now that are a bit more expensive than the 28-135, but you do get what you pay for. Good luck!

Thanks,

But I have decided to buy new. I just can't decide canon xti with grip or a new 30/40d. The grip made the body feel way better. I eventually would like to do sport shooting and wondering if the 2-3.fps is worth the extra $300-$500.

For sports shooting it certainly helps.

But now you're suddenly looking at the difference between a $540 used 20D with 14-day no-questions-asked return policy, and a $1,150 new 40D.

What is your real budget?