Buy the new 70-200/2.8 VR II now or wait...

michael_alger

<p>That depends on whether you need a fast telezoom in the next five or so years and how much money you want to spend on it. The earlier versions serve many users well, as they should.</p>

<p>The original 70-200 is a fine lens, with fast focusing, VR, and beautiful, consistent bokeh, and is quite free of CA. It however doesn't behave well in backlight. The nano-coating in the new version should reduce the ghosting significantly. I found the VR in the 70-200 to be less effective than that in the 70-300 VR when shooting from a small boat (moving platform), and since the new 70-200 is upgraded to VR II I believe there is a good chance it'll work better in these demanding situations. While I didn't think much of the 70-300 optically, the results I got when shooting from a boat are excellent considering the circumstances.</p>

<p>The 80-200/2.8D AF is a sharp lens, with more even sharpness across the frame than the original 70-200 (on FX), but it has relatively harsh bokeh (by the standards reset by the original 70-200), which sometimes takes away from the image, depending on what kind of background you have. Assuming the new 70-200 solves the corner issues of the original without taking away the excellent bokeh, it should be a winner.</p>

<p>However, the price Nikon is asking for the new version has me choking a bit. I did expect a price increase, and what they're asking for it is not unreasonable; but I've invested a lot in photography in the past two years and can't just buy a 2500€ lens just like that. I think once the reviews come out, and if the street price gets below 2000 EUR I will give it due consideration but at the current asking price I am unlikely to be an eager early adopter though it'd be useful to me. Even with the first 70-200, at first the asking price where I live was close to 3000 EUR; when I left to US for two years it was around 2500 EUR in Finland, but I got it in the US for about 1500-1600 USD which I thought was a good deal at the time. I am hoping that by waiting 1-2 years I'll be able to get a good deal on the new version once the initial high demand attenuates. And I have my prime teles which are compact for the length and speed, so no rush.</p>

<p>There was a similar thread on another popular photo website where the same question was posed.</p>

<p>I JUST bought the current 70-200 2.8 IS version and it has lived up to all the praise it so rightly deserves. This was a lens I had wanted/needed badly for quite some time so if you need this now I wouldn't hesitate a second.</p>

<p><em>The VR III version is already in the planning stages...</em><br>

VR II already minimizes movement in three dimentions. VR III will minimize movement in the fourth dimension: time. By slowing down the camera's movement through time, VR III will give the photographer a longer opportunity to perfect composition and focus in critical fast-moving situations such as sports and weddings.<br>

So, should you "wait" for VR III? If you have to ask that question, then the answer is clearly yes.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>VR II already minimizes movement in three dimentions. VR III will minimize movement in the fourth dimension: time. By slowing down the camera's movement through time, VR III will give the photographer a longer opportunity to perfect composition and focus in critical fast-moving situations such as sports and weddings.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>lol! That's great. VR III will also allow the photographer to use longer shutter speeds in low light without incurring blur due to subject movement. ;)</p>

<p>why not wait for VR IV, which will actually allow the camera to freeze all subject movement or go back in time, by equalizing four-dimensional matrices which not only minimize vibration, but reverse it sufficiently enough to take advantage of bends in the time-space continuum through micro-nanotech-enabled ultrasonic electromagnetic fields. another feature: when combined with Matrx metering, VR IV allow you to shoot in another dimension or parallel universe entirely, without having to be plugged in to a virtual reality construct...VR IV will be available in an as-yet-unrelased DSLR Nikon engineers are simply calling "The One."</p>

<p> Wait until August 1st.<br>

I am quite sure Version III will be announced the day after I buy Version II.<br>

Therefore, in the interest of hastening Nikon's progress for the rest of you, I shall buy one tomorrow.<br>

UPS should deliver your Version III next Tuesday.</p>

<p>The 70-210 2.8 is a lens that unortuately, people stopped asking themselves if it really makes sense to have a lens that is of such complex construction and of such mass and length for a focal length range that is ofter better served by two superior, individual lenses.</p>

<p>I think all manufacturers 70-200 2.8 lenses are the most overrated lens in all of photography.</p>