Buy a New D800 from Individual

dan_brown4

<p>There is a local offer to sell a new D800 (zero shutter actuations, in box) for $3250, which is about the price locally with sales tax. Seller says he will give retail receipt with US model camera. Also, states that he pre-ordered and bought both D800 and D800e, and decided to go with the D800e, hence the sale of the D800. It would be a face-to-face deal for cash, so the camera can be carefully inspected.</p>

<p>My question: Could I actually get full Nikon warranty support by having his receipt?</p>

<p>I am not sure that I would buy that story. This guy seems be a scalper.</p>

<p>In the US, Nikon warranty is not transferable. If he indeed doesn't want the D800, he should be returning it. I think Dan is better off ordering a D800 now and wait for it; I can't imagine that it'll take more than a few weeks.</p>

<p>That's what I thought. I did call Nikon USA, but couldn't get through to anybody who knew that answer, and their knowledge-base on-line help wasn't much.</p>

<p>It did look like I could go on-line and register the camera, since there are no warranty cards packed with DSLR's anymore. Then, just keep the receipt and submit it in the case of warranty service. But, I think the selling dealer might submit a record of the sale to Nikon USA, and they could cross reference the authenticity of the sale.</p>

<p>Honestly, it kind of pisses me off. I can understand the gray market issue, but why can't Nikon USA warrant their own products through the warranty period, regardless of who presently possesses the product? Most high quality products are warranted that way. It basically says "Hey, we're Nikon, and we hate supporting our products, so we dodge that responsibility at the very first change we can.</p>

<p>Dan, this is merely my guess: warranties are for protecting the consumer from manufacturing defects. When a product changes hands so that there are multiple owners over time, sometimes it becomes difficult to judge whether a defect was there when the product left the factory or it was caused by previous owners. I suppose Nikon simply does not want to get into any argument with the current owner about whether a problem should be fixed under warranty (free of charge) or the current owner should pay for repair.</p>

<p>Nikon USA warranties lenses for 5 years. Potentially a lens can change hands several times during that period.</p>

<p>If you have to do a face-to-face cash deal when the amount is large, after you inspect the item, I suppose the buyer and seller can go to a bank together and do a money transfer at the teller; no actual cash will change hands.</p>

<p>Of course, someone could mug you afterwards and take the camera, but that is no different from taking your D800 out in public and take pictures.</p>

<p>If he buys from local store like Best Buy, sure that receipt is good since there's no name attached.<br>

Local store that inputs your name onto the receipt, or online receipts with names are no good.<br>

I have a guy locally who's selling 4 D800s for $3800 each, and another selling $4200...<br>

I placed 3 pre-orders from B&H Amazon Abes of Maine and non of them gives shipping confirmation. Amazon simply gave up giving me an update (I ordered on the 2/6) and the system simply shows no delivery estimate. Abes is telling me early May. B&H nothing..that really piss me off and at the same time some guy got 4 copies of it for flipping.....</p>

<p>I can't believe all this craziness about getting the D800 immediately. I have been shooting DSLRs for 10 years and have 6 different Nikon DSLRs at home. Why can't we wait a few weeks for supply to catch up? I know it is easy for me to say that since Nikon is sending me a loaner for evaluation so that I don't have to pay and get to use one for a month.</p>

<p>It is insane that there are people who are flipping D800 for a $1000 profit.</p>

<p>But no offense Richard, isn't it exactly those who pre-order from multiple sources who are creating (or at least contributing to) this chaos? B&H and Amazon may think they have a lot of orders, but as soon as those people who manage to find one elsewhere, they are going to cancel those pre-orders immediately. How exactly do you expect B&H and Amazon, etc. to run their business?</p>

<p>The only time I pre-ordered was the D7000 from my local store. They required a $500 deposit. Mine arrived a week after the launch and I picked up immediately.</p>

<p>If the deal is local and is for $3250 - which is about what you'd pay anyway - and he wants to meet in a bank / public place - then I'd go for it.</p>

<p>What I would not do is pay $800.00 more than retail for the camera. I've never got caught up in the gotta have it nonsense that goes on with the latest and greatest toys. </p>

<p>My D200 was bought 3 weeks after release. D300 2 weeks. D700 6 months. D7000 3 months. - Never paid more than retail for any of them.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>I am really curious to see if it only will be a matter of weeks before D800's are readily available or not. I know Nikon is closed til the 3rd, so there won't be any new cameras for at least a week. I know I placed a pre-order with B&H 8am the morning after it was announced, and I didn't get in on the first shipment of cameras. Right now I've just got a D7000 and I'm not happy with the focus (mine tends to off about 25% of the time). I've been putting shoots on hold for a month now. Sure, I suppose if its that important I should just go out and buy whats available, but I have to have a solid video mode as I make a good portion of my living from video that eliminates all Nikon cameras except what I already have and the D800 & D4. I've already lost out on at least a thousand dollars because I didn't have it for film shoots. I only hope it makes it here the first week of April like I've been promised, because other wise I may loose out on several more thousand dollars worth of film shoots :(.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I am really curious to see if it only will be a matter of weeks before D800's are readily available or not.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Do you know that B&H had the D3 in stock within a day or two of the initial launch date? I.e. within a day or two since Nikon USA started shipping them to the dealers? A number of people on this forum had no trouble getting their D3 within the first month, without any pre-ordering.</p>

<p>I already mentioned that the D700's price dropped from the initial $3000 to $2400 within like 3 months.</p>

<p>And if you check DPReview's Nikon D4/D800 forum, a number of people have walked into their local Best Buy and just picked up brand new D800 in the last few days, but most of those had to check a few Best Buy stores before they could locate one. There is no reason for me to believe those stories are not true.</p>

<p>Don't get misled by all the hype. We are still under a tough economy, world wide, and $3000 is still a lot for a camera. Those who pre-order from multiple stores while they only need one camera is contributing to the confusion. I am sure the D800 is a fine camera, but as long as you are willing to wait a few weeks, there is no reason that you can't get one at reasonable prices.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Do you know that B&H had the D3 in stock within a day or two of the initial launch date?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Did you know that in over twice the amount time after the D800 was released that no one had it in stock? The references to the past have already been proven wrong, hence the reason I'm curious. Maybe we'll say the D3 was in stock 2 days after, the D800 2 weeks after. Maybe we'll say 2 months. Maybe we'll say longer. But its really irrelevant, we'll all know soon enough if Nikon will catch up, or this initial shortage will continue.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I already mentioned that the D700's price dropped from the initial $3000 to $2400 within like 3 months.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes you already mentioned it; I was a disappointed to see you haven't taken into account the common sense points I made previously.<br>

The D700 was the very first product of its kind, Nikon had never made a FX camera that didn't have a the built in battery pack. That makes it a tough sell. Where as Nikon's been building that market for 4 years, and all those people that are hooked on the D700 are potential D800 buyers. In addition it now offers something that no other camera does, a higher resolution sensor than any other 35mm DSLR on the planet. This opens up whole new markets like the medium format users who previously felt DSLRs didn't offer enough resolution. These common sense points would suggest, nay, demand the probability that the D800 sales and by extension price reductions, will be drastically different.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>And if you check DPReview's Nikon D4/D800 forum, a number of people have walked into their local Best Buy and just picked up brand new D800 in the last few days,'</p>

</blockquote>

<p>A friend of mine once bought a like new Nikon 300mm F/2.8 AFS VR lens for $2000, because the photographer who owned it past away and his daughter didn't know what it was worth. Doesn't mean I would start suggesting to people that the normal price for a like new 300mm F/2.8 AFS VR was $2000. Also just out of curiosity I checked Best Buy's website, its sold out online and I checked over 30 stores in 4 states, and couldn't find one store that had a D800.</p>

Shun u are right I am going to cancel the other 2 pre-orders and just wait for one to arrive eventually rather than

contributing to the confusion. My d700 is in the shop with a 6 week backordered part which got extend to 8 weeks so I

am going to forget about taking pictures for a while or perhaps use my wife's d5100...