Buster Brown #2

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by glen_h, May 4, 2016.

1. I now have an Ansco Buster Brown #2, which seems like it should work.
    Conveniently, it uses 120 film, so no complications with buying film for it.
    The shutter has choices B (bulb), T(time), and I(instant), where I might be 1/30 or so.
    The aperture uses the US scale with 16, 32, 64, and 128 corresponding to f/16, f/22, f/32, and f/64.
    It still has a wooden film spool, so I suspect it hasn't been used recently.
    The manual on the web seems to be for a different shutter assembly with more shutter speeds, and aperture to US 8 (that is, f/11). Then the manual says to never use aperture 32 or 64 for instantaneous exposures. But they didn't have films like we have now! With ISO 400 film, or even faster, I might even get to 128.
    Now, all I have to do is figure out the focus system.

2. I don't know the Buster Brown....love to see a pic of it, and some pics taken with it.

3. Glen, I assume it's the Buster Brown #2 folding camera, rather than the box. They seemed to have variations in the shutters, and the only one I've seen in the flesh had speeds of 1/25, 1/50 and 1/100, plus B and T. It was fixed focus, with the shutter assembly in front of the lens, and I seem to recall it had a little detachable reflex viewer gadget. A lovely old camera, indeed; I, too, would love to see some pics both of and from it...

4. I just found out that it is the 2A, the 116 version. Not so bad, as I do have some 116 film, but I was hoping for the 120 version. Yes, the folding version, not the box. I will have to get some pictures.
    00dv3j-562806684.jpg

5. Overall view
    00dv3v-562806784.jpg

6. It has choices of 8, 25, or 100 feet on the focus scale.
    (Though so far I haven't got it to move.)
    00dv3w-562806884.jpg

7. Wow.. very cool camera. I'd love to play with one like this I believe There's a similar Kodak model. This is a
    very wide format . What is the frame or mask in CM/inches?