Business License Question

<p>This is not about me. I have my business license and do photography full time but I was curious after it had come up on another website: Do you need a business license if you only plan on doing about one photo shoot a month or less? It had been my understanding that if you charge (even if its only $40 a shoot) then technically you are a business and should have a business licenses. Though if you don't advertise yourself as a business and only charge friends is that ok? Again i'm just curious and I realize the internet is not the best place for legal info.</p>

<p>The issue would be whether or not your friend is really running a business. One shoot a month might not generate enough income to cover expenses and could realistically be considered a hobby. Hobbyists do not have to comply with business accounting and tax rules in that all of their proceeds are simply another form of personal income.</p>

<p>Your friend needs to decide whether or not he/she is operating a business. One resource to help with this is the discussion on hobby vs. business in the irs.gov web site. If your friend really is establishing a business then he/she needs to follow all of the rules governing business taxation and reporting, not just the local one governing business licenses.</p>