Business card ideas....

It has come time to design a new business card (my last one didn't include my newly built

website)......and I must say, I have been switching designs around for the past week now. I am

torn between the endless debate of whether or not to put a picture on it ......I am thinking maybe

keep it simple on the front and maybe a reduced opacity black and white on the back.

I have no background in Graphic Design.....but these are the two that I have come up with so far. I

was hoping to get a little feedback from those who know more than I on the topic. Suggestions for

improvement...... current impressions they give off............any suggestions on which design works

better.

My photographic aim is yet undecided. I've sold a few prints along the way....had a few things up

in galleries back in St. Augustine. For the past three years, I have working in the realm of family

portraits and wedding photography back in Florida, but I have decided to explore other avenues

now that I find myself in New York. I've shot some promo shots for a band (this past

weekend....they will make it to the site as soon as possible) and am enjoying the chance to expand

my portfolio and experiment but want to give off a professional appearance when approaching

potential clients (even if the shoot is free or close to it.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks so much!<div>00PhTU-46883684.jpg.359aa14a45b18b235ee78d35f2c21b3a.jpg</div>

I cant see your cards, but it makes little difference, my thoughts on business cards are these: unless youre broadcasting your cards to everyone with the expectation that when someone sees it they higher you, I dont think it matters what you put on it or how easy/hard your number is to find. I never, ever have lost of gained a client because of my business card. I give them to people who ask or who need them, most of the time i know them, they know me, we've just met, they know my style or my photographs already etc.

I'd like to hear a compelling reason to spend a lot of time on business cards. If it's fun and you enjoy it, I think that's great, but as a business issues, I think it's a very moot issue. . .

I would have liked to see the cards but they not available. . .

sorry for the ridoculously repetitive posts.....if anyone could lend a suugestion it would

be greatly appreciated. i uploaded them (resized to 511 across) and they show up fine

in Safari....but when i go into mozilla it just shows up as an error.....

and to Tony- the reason I have spent so much time on it is because I am paid to sit at

a desk and fiddle around on the computer all day. my job responsibilities take up an

hour of the day, and the rest of the time I can do as I wish (as long as I am there to

buzz clients and employees through the big glass doors). I figure if i have the time, I

might as well do it right. I just want someone else's opinion on it because graphic

design is not my background and I am torn between the 2 designs.

Shannon, a lot depends on what you are trying to communicate. I personally like

the second version, but if I were to have to guess the kind of photography you are

going for, the first makes me think of something formal, like architectural, the

second, something more casual. If you are talking bands, definitely the second in

my opinion. As to the photo itself, most of the time would not do so unless you

have a very narrow field of specialization. My card for the architectural photography

is specifically to gain access to places that normally are not possible. That means

establishing credentials. We found that the right business card did that for us in a

second.

Lots to think about in this field, because whether you like it or not, you are

establishing a brand.

There was an article about Safari and Microsoft software in the Casual Section. I can't remember what it was all about, but it seems like I still can't see the example of your Business card.

You can get 250 Free Business cards from Vista which is what I did about 2 years ago. Unfortunately, on the back of the card is the "Vista Free" Logo which looks kind of tacky. I was just about to order some cards myself, but I think I'll stay away from the ones Vista offers for free.

"I'd like to hear a compelling reason to spend a lot of time on business cards. If it's fun and you enjoy it, I think that's great, but as a business issues, I think it's a very moot issue. . ."

You may think it's moot issue, but it's not. Business cards are very important, perhaps most important element to gaining trust in new or potential clients. It their first impression on how much you care about yourself, presentation, and more importantly, is a conveyed indication of the quality of work you do and may potentially produce for them. Every single subtlety counts in a card. Seven seconds is the aim of capturing interest in a card. Business cards that are just quickly received and put in peoples back pockets are useless. Those that capture attention for 7 seconds are great. Those that cause a conversation are the most powerful. I know one photographer that uses a single hole punch and just arbitrarily punches a hole in all his cards while watching tv. People notice this and wonder. His name is in their minds now. I know another that has his laser cut out of stainless steel and laser engraved and are reserved for gala events. This is a cut throat business and photographers are a dime a dozen. If you think business cards are irrelevant, you need to be reading up on branding and marketing.

I agree that the 2nd version is less cluttered. The 1st one looks more typographically thoughtful (letter spacing, choice of upper/lower case). Both are very dark and serious in mood, which may not reflect your current specializations (family & wedding).

no, my aim is not family and wedding, that was just my job before moving up here.

currently, i have stepped away from that (i found that genre was kind of sucking the

fun out of my photographic urges)......I work as a receptionist at a creative firm in

New York....not the best job, but its low stress and affords me plenty of time to

shoot, research, build a portfolio .....and basically figure out what the heck I feel like

doing for the rest of my life.(and I get to play on photoshop and cruise around

photo.net while people are paying me)..... In the mean time I have been approached

on multiple occasions to shoot promo shots for a band and a few product shots and

promotional pieces. I had a card back in florida, but I need a new one that shows

my new website and gives contact info when people approach me for a job. (i live in

Manhattan, I could use any extra work I can get)

Shannon,

I like the logo in the first design. The second one does not lend itself to immediate recognition. I do like the font for your name in the second one but I feel that the title "Photographer" is redundant and obvious in this case. For the first one, there should be more separation between your name and your website.

Ian Shalapata
ipsfoto.com | info@ipsfoto.com
Freelance Multimedia Journalist

Hi Shannon, I'm of the mind the card must be unique and look great. I'm shocked at how many photographer's cards are...well....more than forgettable. I'm in the process of reworking mine. I'm going with two versions. One is pretty simple (meaning inexpensive but present a nice look and 'feel') the other will cost much more produce. The better of the two will go to those who (at least appear) to be at the hub of a lot of activity. In many cases the card is your first impression. In more cases, it is the only impression you'll leave behind. ...until you get a gig.

Thanks so much for everyone who has taken the time to respond.... i'm still a little

undecided. i think it might take a little blending of the two to be satisfied. I was

leaning more to the top one before posting this question, but the bottom definitely

got better reviews.

Brian, I agree with your comment about business cards making an important first

impression. I hope to one day make one that is unique and geared towards my (as

of yet undecided) specialty.....that day will come. I just want to get a 100 or so

printed so I can have a few as I go through the transition into this new life I have

acquired. Am I to take it that you find both designs "more than forgettable"? (which

is totally fine if you do, i am looking for this type of brutally honest critique. as i

said, graphic design is not my specialty) I know they are simple, but I feel like they

represent my personal 'style' ( I am soooo not a bright, colorful, patterned

background kind of girl OR artist)

Hi Shannon,

I think both are nice. Professional and clean. I'm a Jr. Photgrapher as well. I've settled into a sports/events thing. Yes, ANOTHER one of those guys. :-) Both my cards reflect what I'm into. I'm gonna click around and see if I can E-you directly. I'll show you what I've worked up. One is a tri-fold thing. Very different.

"perhaps [the] most important element to gaining trust in new or potential clients." (not our grammar or spelling I hope - if it were we both would be shot down in a heartbeat!) ;-). . . .

each business is different for sure. however I can not remember when I handed out cards hoping to get "new" business based on the look of my card. If I want someone to spend 7 seconds on my card, I'd put a ton of stuff on it and they would spend 7 minutes trying figure it all out. . .

I do agree that if your target market deals in business cards to build a reputation than by all means make a slicker that slick card and sell yourself thought it, marketing is the game that is true.

For me, cards are a way to give someone something to stick in their pocket to basically write other stuff on the back of. . . I have cards but only hand them out when I'm asked for one, and by that time, they know me or they will make the effort to get to know me. . . my card likely is not going to make or break a job.

It cant hurt to have a nice looking card, dont get me wrong, but laboring over it, is, in my view, not very productive - and I guess, for that matter, my time on this forum and this post more specifically, is not making me any money either - LOL

Take care, and BTW, those are very nice looking cards, but let me me see, hum, what is that you shoot again? Portraits, architecture, sports, stills, flowers, bands, wildlife, hum . . .? Maybe at least a word or two describing what it is that you shoot would help, especially if youre trying to get business. . .

Good luck, and good post, i like the various thoughts posted here. .

www.tonybynum.com