mattalofs

There have been a lot of business related topics brought up

recently, so I was wondering if anybody had any recomendations

for getting a grasp on the business side of wedding

photography. Books, websites, etc. Whatever you can think of

would be helpful. My list of necessary but non-photographic

things to research in this area is getting so big that I'm

wondering when I'm going to get around to developing the

necessary photographic skills. Thanks in advance.

Matt, you're not alone. It takes time to sort out all of these issues. We are all still learning. You can literally learn something new in this business every day.

You might want to look into joining WPPI (Wedding and Portrait Photographers Int'l). Every year they have a huge convention and trade show in Vegas. I've gone every year for the past three years. It is well worth going, as you can really learn a lot about marketing and other business related topics, as well as learn from other photographers about posing and the technical aspects of the craft. Membership is only $99.00/year, which is considerably less than PPA. You can purchase videos of past years speakers, many of which discuss business issues. Next year's convention is March 19-24th in Vegas. I highly recommend joining WPPI, and if you can afford it, I would go to Vegas next year. Remember, you can write it off on your taxes too, which is kinda nice!

The WPPI website is: www.wppinow.com

One book you might want to check out is: "The Business of Studio Photography" by Edward Lilley. He talks about business issues such as figuring out what to charge clients, marketing, etc. In addition to wedding photography, he also covers the Portrait market, etc.

Hope this helps.

Thank you both for the suggestions. I was initially turned off of PPA by 2 things. 1) Big fee for membership, 2) I'm not sure what I think of any organization that hides their membership application as well as the PPA website manages to do.It's seriously burried. Weird.

More suggestions welcome.

Wedding photography is sort of a simple business. I think you should concentrate on

making contacts, and finding out how to reach Brides.

Then make up a 1-2 page brochure, with your prices and a paragraph telling the world

that you are concerned about the Bride and Groom.

Attend a Bridal Faire.

Photograph weddings when another pro is there. Watch him/her. Take some pictures.

You could take college courses in marketing, advertising, sales, etc. But I think you could

be successful if you become a good salesperson and have good work.