Busch Pressman Model D won't close, and the revolving back is stiff.

bobpeters

I have a Busch Pressman Model D that won't close. I think the latch is bent, as it looks like it should be straighter. Also do I have to replace the rivet in the top, with a nut and machine screw? Also the revolving back is really stiff. Is that normal? Also there are four screws under the back in the corners. Do those hold the back on, so I can see what the binding is?IMG_2180.thumb.JPG.ed7f9ec9b7079d07377f65990294f8e9.JPG IMG_2176.thumb.JPG.252a58066e9de681bab610fd5542e5db.JPG IMG_2180.thumb.JPG.ed7f9ec9b7079d07377f65990294f8e9.JPG

Close but no cigar. Wrong camera.

I have a C, and it's an almost completely different beast. Could anybody upload a picture of a working Model D Latch? The Screws I'm talking about in the picture, are the one's next to each "knob" on the back, and the ones at the each end of the film holder, with only one of those currently visible.

Yes jister Joe showed how to tear down a 2x3 Pressman. If you click on the 4x5 link you will see a D tore down but the picture is too small to be of any use.

After a gooooooogle search a picture of the C showed the fixed back attached by 4 screws.

These are simple cameras. The back either separates from the main body or it is a molded part of the main body with a hole large enough for the rotating film plane to fit into.

The 4 screws with one hidden by the focus panel hold a slotted piece of metal that is close to one end. If you remove one of them you will find a blunt end possibly with a nylon bushing or a lip edge. A blunt end with or without a bushing will be used to keep the film plane centered in the opening. A lipped end will fit over a flange edge on the focus panel to hold the focus panel in place.

The view hood is removable, likely by the thumb screw at the top of the focus panel/ view hood. With the view hood removed the ground glass is held in place by two spring clips, one each side in portrait orientation, with each spring clip held by two screws. Removing the ground glass will allow access to the inside of the back. Internal screws holding the back in place can be easily felt or the bellows retaining clips can be seen.

The holes next to the visible slots suggest the back frame is held by screws from inside the body. Shine a light between the bellows and body to see them if they exist. The bellows will need to be extended also.

There is no service information available on line that I can find. Tower Press is a Busch Pressman Rebadged.

You definitely have some reforming work to get the latch fixed. I think this project is beyond your skill level, send it to a tech capable of doing the repair. I'm no longer servicing cameras.

Edited by thirteenthumbs

• 1 month later...

Remove, clean the mating surfaces, apply a trace of grease such as https://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-Premium-Grease-Fluoropolymer/dp/B002L5YYYA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1505625874&sr=8-2&keywords=teflon+grease where contact is made by the back to body and wedges. Wedges are tight enough when there is no side play or front to rear movement.

A trace of grease is enough to feel it without seeing it.