Burn mark in LCD Panel on top of camera?

glenn_cummings1

This may sound strange, however, has anyone ever noticed what appears to be a burn mark or something that looks

similar in thier LCD Panel on top of the camera?

My LCD panel (top of my 40D) has what appears to be a burn spot inside the panel off to the left.

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, but for a brand new camera it bothers me.

LCD panels work via polarization of light. If you're wearing polarized sunglasses, you may see variations in the panel. Tilt your head to the side, and you'll likely see the screen go black.

Any stresses in the panel materials can result in variations in polarization angle and can therefore result in variations in lightness/darkness of the panel. I fact the easiest method for detecting stresses in transparent materials is via cross polarized light.

I've seen the effect without polarizing sunglasses. I don't think it's due to stress birefringence, which is the phenomenon which gives rise to the polarization effect.

If you take any LCD and apply pressure to it you'll probably see it darken. I know the screen on my HP calculator does. On cameras the LCD is behind a failrly thick screen, so applying pressure externally doesn't do much.

Hi Bob,

I'm no expert in birefringence effects, but I do know that any darkening of any area of an LCD would be due to polarity effects. My guess is that light enters through the polarization film, and the polarized light gets twisted, scrambled, and/or repolarized (insert correct term here) to some degree. Thus some of the light is no longer polarized in alignment with the front film. Then when it reflects off of the back and re-enters the film, it is blocked, hence the darkening.

• 9 months later...