Burn CDs from your memory card

This won't burn to a CD, but so far, I really like it:

http://www.xs-drive.com/xsdrive2/

20 Gb hard disk, about the size of 2 packs of smokes. It runs on batteries while not connected to AC power. Supports USB 1.0 and 2.0. Also functions as a card-reader and spare hard drive. Around $240. Highly recommended - you can leave your laptop at home! Best wishes...

I'm not sure which would be better, a 20GB hard drive or a CD burner. My guess is that the hard drive would give you a faster download and 20GB should be enough for even the most shutter happy photographer shooting RAW files with a 1Ds assuming the files are somehow backed up at the end of the day (I calculate about 1100 images would fit on a 20GB drive, 2200 on a 40GB)! I suppose if you were on a two week assignment with no access to mass storage media then 40GB (2200 images) might not be enough for some professional shooters.

The problem with the low end portable hard drives seems to be that there is no write verify, so you're never 100% sure if your data has been transfered properly. Does the xs-drive do a verify after write? The more expensive units allow you to view the images, but they cost another few hundred dollars and are probably larger, heavier and consume more power.

I don't know how the CD burner would cope with cards bigger then 512MB. They say you can put multiple cards on a CD, but don't mention putting a single card on multiple CDs.

I have been looking for one of these things for almost 2 years. About time someone made one.

I too wonder what happens if you use cards larger than the CD capacity. Should this not become vaporware, I'll simply just not use cards larger than CD capacity. Rather have 20 512 cards that can be burned immediately than many fewer large cards that I cannot burn immedidately.

Would I use it for all my work? Heck no. But for weddings and unforgiving activities where losing any images can be painful, this is a MUST have.

Now, to be able to actually BUY one....

David