Built-In Diopter correction with Eye Control Focus?

mike_sowsun

The canon EOS A2 has built-in diopter correction while the EOS A2E does not. This was apparently due to the A2E having Eye Control Focus.

My EOS 7NE has both built-in diopter correction AND Eye Control Focus....

Did the technology change or was it just an over precaution with the A2E?

I have shot the Canon EOS 5, which is the world-wide version of the A2E. LINK However, it is now buried in my cabinet without batteries and I can't lay my hands on it right now. I tried looking at the manual for that model at (Butkus) for diopter control, but couldn't find what you're asking about. Unfortunately, Butkus's copy is not 'text', making search impossible.

You are, I suppose, aware that the rubber eye cushion covers up the diopter wheel on many Canon EOS models.

Sorry not to be of more help.

I have no clue why EOS 5 eye control worked fine in both orientations(!)

As for the differences in the EOS 5, one of the founding fathers here (Greenspun) put it:

Someone has a U.S. patent, believe it or not, on the use of a digital scale to show under or over exposure in a metered-manual SLR. Canon didn't want to pay this patent holder and therefore turns off the -2/+2 (in half-stops) scale when in metered-manual mode. You get just an over or under indication but have no way of telling how much without dialing back to neutral and counting. The European/Japanese market EOS-5 is not crippled in this manner.

but the link to that review here on P.net seems to have gone dead. I recall there was a similar problem with the vertical/horizontal thingie.