research; to California, North Carolina, and Michigan to visit

family). Eventually, I will want to take pictures of my son (and

other children, if we�re so lucky) at other functions (i.e., sports),

but that is obviously a long way off.

With my limited knowledge of the matter, it seems rational to include

a flash (I really like available light, but sometimes I need flash

indoors and if I could bounce or diffuse, that would probably work

well enough; and I�d have a greater outdoor fill capacity), a tripod,

a couple more lenses, and another body (upgrade to, say, the N80).

However, my budget is still very restricted, and I will be doing this

over the next few years. It seems to me, then, that I would be best

served by this order of operations:

1) Buy a wider lens and a flash: The wider lens will give better

group shot opportunities and would be nice for travel landscapes and

such. The flash serves well for low light candids, where a tripod

wouldn�t, because a tripod offers the opportunity to shoot in lower

light, but at lower shutter speeds � not right for candids, or for

anything with my son, who doesn�t, of course, sit still.

2) Buy a longer lens and a tripod: Longer lens gives better

portrait opportunities possibly just t the time that Joe can sit

still for a few seconds. Tripod would be crucial for this if I

wanted to use slower film, could be used for group shots (getting in

them, myself, for instance), and would offer more stable position

from which to take some landscapes at smaller apertures and with

slower film, while traveling (which is something I�ll have to forgo

between steps 1&2).

3) Upgrade body and take my time getting a longer lens or two

for kids� functions.

I�m looking for people to affirm this rationale or to set me straight

if I�ve gone astray on something (like I said, I�m new at this).

Also looking for suggestions on: 1) lenses for steps 1 & 2 (I have

been thinking about the 35/2.0 and the 85/1.8), 2) flash, 3) pod and

head.

Thanks

Noah

It's sounds like a plan. I would say tripod first. But, if the budget is going to mean buying the 35 and 85 lenses years from now, I would consider getting a 28-105 zoom in the meantime or instead of. Having different focal lengths tremendously expands both the possibilities and the fun factor. I'm a big fan of prime lenses, but not if it means that you have to wait for year to buy them. In fact, in the situation you describe, I might give some consideration in making a 28-105 or 28-85 my next purchase OR two prime lenses (a 28 and an 85), then the tripod (you can always get a cheap mini tripod). Having just a 50mm lens is pretty limiting in the kinds of photography you can do. A separate flash would be way down the list, since you already have the one on the camera when you need it, and a new body would be the last thing I would get.

Since budget seems to be the overriding factor, I would say buy WHAT you need WHEN you need it.

If the 50mm is serving you well, then why get a 35mm?? If you DO find the 50mm limiting, then consider a wider lens -- a 28mm IF you plan to keep the 50, OR a 35mm if you plan to sell the 50mm.

Get a flash if/when you need it.

If you can buy the 85mm and tripod at the same time, go for it, but if your budget limits you to one or the other, then consider what you would need more -- the portraiture afforded by the 85mm or getting shots of you and your son by mounting a camera on a tripod.

Hi Noah

Looks like a good plan to begin with.

First I'd get a good flash (one that can be used as you upgrade camera bodies). Also a good tripod is also a must. Get the best you can, you'll never be sorry you have a good stable tripod, only if you have a crap one. Then get use to what you have and make sure you really want to , and are ready for, the next step.

As for the lens, you seem to be a perfect candidate for a nice Zoom.

I'd save my money and get a nice one in the 24-120 or 24-135 area. I don't think the new VR version of the 24-120 will work on the N65, but you could check with Shun to make sure. If it would I'd save for it.

In primes, I think you'd be better off with the 28mm, than the 35mm. I own a 35mm f/1.4 AIS lens and there isn't a hugh difference between it and the 50. Yes there is some, but the wider 28mm would make a better package. The 85mm is always a good option.

Just my opinion

I disagree about the tripod. I hardly ever use my tripod because it is too bulky and slow to carry and use when doing anything involving my wife and daughter. I use it only a few times a year. I mean, a tripod is good, but I don't think you will find it useful for the kind of lifestyle you probably have. Get a beanbag to rest the camera on for those self-timed group portraits, it's much cheaper.

I recommend a 28mm rather than the 35mm. You will probably find the 35 is not wide enough compared to your 50 to excite you. The 28 gives significantly more coverage, without being too extreme or adding a lot of distortion.

Just my 2p worth.

I really like the idea of the 28-105mm AFD lens. It's a great lens and would really fit your intended uses. It's a great "kid" lens. Primes are great, but a good zoom is the right tool for taking photos of kids, family, travel, etc. If you are set on primes, I would get the 28mm and the 85mm 1.8. These are both great lenses and truly great values. The 85mm is probably my favorite lens. In regard to order of purchase. I would get a 28-105mm, then a tripod. The flash and backup can wait. If you go with primes, I would get the 28mm first and then the 85 but get a tripod in between. You can get a decent tripod for $100 to $150. Look and Bogen and Slik lines.

Back when, Nikon recommended getting a set of lenses whose focal lengths doubled from one to the next. ~ 25 mm, ~ 50 mm, ~ 100, ... In their line, 24, 50 or 55, 105, 200, ... This advice worked well for me. I eventually got a 35 as well, didn't replace it after it was stolen. I use 55 more often than 105 more often than 24 more often than 200. The other lenses in my Nikon kit (specialized short macro lenses, 500/5.6, 700/8) are used less often still.

By this reasoning, 35 and 85 are too close to 50. 105 is a great focal length for shooting people without being right up in their faces.

The only reason to have more than one 35mm body is to be able to shoot more than one emulsion in the same session. Otherwise the additional body is just another encumbrance.

Tripods are very useful, more with long lenses than with short. As long as y'r longest is <= 105 you can live without.

Flash is, for me, most useful for closeups and indoors. I hate the Nikonish outdoors fill-flash effect. Looks unnatural.

If your camera will work with manual focus lenses (pardon my ignorance, the two youngest Nikons in my household were bought in 1986 and I'm ignoring low-end AF gear), then get used MF lenses. If not, get used AF.

Cheers,

Dan

True about the 28-105mm zoom - would give you a few more focal lengths, though almost all zooms, this one not being an exception, are a little weak at the focal length extremes. That being said, the 105mm would be the next good prime in your line up to get - 85mm being "not far enough" away from 50mm to make a huge difference. Nikon makes several different 105mm lenses, the "reasonably priced one" being the 105mm Micro Telephoto (it also does MACRO photography, eg, bugs, butterflies, etc.) which would give you new things to work on, and it's about the same price as the zoom. For tripods, get a used one! There's probably zillions of Bogen 3021's for sale by owners that moved on to Gitzos (I still have my 3021), and used probably run $100 or so.

Noah,

Your reasoning sounds good to me. For the subjects you want to photograph I think the AF85/1.8 and AF35/2 are good choices, especially if you like indoor available light shooting you can take shots with them that you simply can't with an f3.5-4something zoom. If you want to use the wideangle more for landscapes than people you might consider the AF28/2.8 instead of the 35, otherwise the 35 distorts people less than wider lenses. I have the AFD85/1.8 and AFD35/2 and use them for most of my shooting, primarily my 3 year old and newborn sons, and I do a lot of indoor available light shooting. I do not consider either lens to be "too close" to 50mm.

Despite advice to get a 105mm lens, the only fast autofocus 105mm Nikkor is the 105/2 DC which is expensive. The 105/2.8 macro is not that fast for indoor shooting.

Look at the books "How to photograph your family" and "How to photograph your baby" by Nick Kelsh.