Building a SLR system

shijun_shen

I am new to photograhy and I am trying to get my first set of SLR

system. I am thinking about buying an N65 body. Here is my

question, I am thinking about buying either a Nikon 24-85/3.5-4.5 G

EDIF Lense or Nikon 28-105/3.5-4.5 1:2 Macro Lense. The both ran

about $300 dollars. The previous one is a bit more expensive. Any

suggestions?

The 28-105 is sharp (neither of these are "pro" lenses) and has a greater range and macro capability. The 24-85 is smaller and about 40g lighter. Try out both on a body and see if you notice any difference in focussing speed, if that's important to you. I'd also think about the N80 body to get spot metering.

Let me offer an alternative approach. Think about purchasing the body and a single, prime lens. Perhaps a 50/1.8 or the 35/2. Use the one lens as much as possible until you feel you want a new perspective and only then buy another lens. Learn about depth of field, learn about composition, learn about getting close to a subject, learn about light, and keep the rest simple.

I have a full slr system for both 35 and 6x7, yet I find that I do generally just as well carrying around a rangefinder with a 35mm lens as I do with the other equipment. Yes, there are situations that demand the other equipment, but you first need to learn the basics before you branch out.

Both lenses are great. You can't go wrong with either one. The 24mm wide end on the 24-85mm is usefull for interior shot when space is limited. While the 28-105 is a great range for traveler for outdoor photos. The 24-85 will focus slightly faster on some AF bodies but doesn't have apperture ring to use with the old Nikons. The 28-105 seems heavier and seems to be a better built-lens and the macro feature is a bonus. The ED glass on the 24-85 suppose to give a better optical quality. Either lens will work perfectly on an N65.. Pick one to fit your needs.

Just my 2 cents.

As they say, different strokes for different folks. To me the 50mm is the least useful lens. I bought one when I got my first SLR 30 years ago and rarely used it. Since then I have bought many more SLRs but never another 50mm. Today that focal length is better covered by zooms. I think the 24-85 G is a good all-around lens. Start with that and develop your interest. Soon you'll find out whether you'll need additional lenses or not.

If you must get a "prime" lens, I would get the 35mm/f2. The wider perspective covers group shots better and is also good for general street and landscape shots. But the notion that zooms are poor performers is very out of date. 30 years ago that was true, but in the last decade or so the new zooms are quite good. The really excellent zooms are still very expensive, but something like the 24-85 G is more than sufficient for general users. I have one myself.

What are you going to do with your SLR system? Without knowing that none of the answers you've gotten are worth anything at all. As stated, both lenses you mention are very worth while starting points. I really like the added range of the 28-105 and 28mm is wide enough from most applications and would be my personal choice.

I'm totally with Shun here, those primes have a place and can be useful, but I rarely use my 50mm f1.4 except when I need the extra light. A zoom is a much better place to start and will increase your satisfaction with your photography which will increase the likelyhood you'll stick with the hobby. The prime lens arguement is similar to the argument that everyone starting out in photography should start with a fully manual camera to really 'learn' about exposure...that may be fine for some really dedicated to having photography become thier passion and/or profession, but for 99.9% of people that want to learn photography they will never get as 'into it' as that and will be more likely to stick to it if they get good results and pleasing pictures...even if they are taken in program mode. Zooms are similar.

--evan

It is certainly true that it is difficult to provide specific recommendations on equipment unless we know what one is going to do with it. However, I assume that Shijun is just getting started and is not sure what he(she?) wants to do with it either. That is why a more general lens like the 24-85 makes sense. If photography doesn't turn out to be a major hobby, that lens will still be useful. If it does, the zoom would be a good starting point anyway. When I was a teenager 30 years ago, I had zero idea that photography would turn out to be such a major hobby either.

Incidentally, there are people who love their 50mm lens and it works very well for them. I am just not one of those. Your mileage may vary; there are no "right" or "wrong" answers. I merely wanted to provide a different point of view.

Too many of us have a large collection of paperweights - lenses we

outgrew that no longer meet our standards. Get a camera with spot

metering and a 50/1.8, although the 35-70/2.8 would be even better

because it's very sharp and gives you an idea of what portrait and

wide angle is all about as well as 'normal' Then get your 80-200,

then your 20-35. . . . but don't get an all-in-one consumer grade

lens. . .

I have the 28-105 and it's a good lens for wedding-type photography.

I second the recommendation on the 50 mm lens. It's inexpensive and gives image quality that is completely in a different class. It also allows you to learn about depth of field and available light photography.

For most types of photography, you will eventually need a set of lenses. I'm happiest with a set of prime lenses, while others like zooms. It's a matter of taste, of what you desire out of photography.

Look at the portfolios of people whose photography you like; I think this is a good way to find out about what kind of lenses you may need. Note that technical image quality doesn't show very well on the web.

I recommend getting both a general purpose zoom like the 28-105 and a cheap 50mm. I mean the 50mm is so cheap, it's a no-brainer. You're getting a sharp sharp and very light lens for not much more than 6-9 rolls of film processed (depends on the lab). You can practice with the 50mm to get a feel for what to do with a prime lens, but still "enjoy" general photography with your zoom.

My 35/2 and 50mm prime lenses (all 4 of them) are my most used lenses for general shooting. I also have a 35-70/2.8 AFD.

I started with the N65 and a 50/1.8 and upgraded to the 28-105mm just this year.

The N65 is a nice, lightweight camera, but a couple of features are missing. Spot metering and a better manual mode interface would help a lot. If you can go with the N80, it's probably worth the extra money.

The 50mm/1.8 is a truly great lens, I can't recommend it enough. The 28-105mm is a great general purpose lens. You can go from wide landscapes to close portraits to macro shots without changing the lens. That range is very useful to me and I rarely find myself wanting to go wider or closer and the images are very sharp. Most of my portfolio was taken with the 28-105 lens.

I have purposefully avoided the G series because I am thinking about getting a manual focus body that doesn't require batteries to operate. The G series doesn't have an apeture ring, so it will not work at all with MF bodies.

I like the single-prime answer, but over the years I've found that my single most-used lens would be in the 75mm-85mm range.<p>

It's a question of what you like to see, and how you like to approach it.<p>

For what it's worth, though, I learned that by taking a <b>lot</b> of pictures with a 50mm f/2 lens!