Bug Reports Part 1: the list (another experiment)

Leslie Reid

There have been a lot of reports in a variety of threads about things that don’t work right or important functions that appear to be missing from the new site. I think it would be useful to have a centralized list of the problems found. This might help ensure that the issues of concern to us are not lost among the other comments in all those other threads, and it also might make it easier for the development team to provide feedback on the status of the fixes that are being worked on for particular problems.<br><br>

On this thread, post brief descriptions of issues you have encountered. I will try to keep an updated master list in this opening post so that multiple posts for the same issues aren’t necessary. Please keep the posts limited to bug or omission reports. I’ll be removing posts that are off-topic, but you can post discussions or suggestions on Bug Reports Part 2: the discussion. If you have a post that goes missing from this thread, simply repost it to the companion thread.<br><br>

The list so far (issues we know are being worked on are in blue; those that have been solved are in green; and modifications or new additions for the day are in magenta):

<br><br>

REALLY BIG PROBLEMS<br>

all old messages have disappeared

overall gallery comments are gone

can't see photos in one's own non-public galleries (
partially solved
with Library view option)

screen names have been lost<br>

flickering refresh problem apparently can't be solved by removing cookies on some devices<br>

visitors to the site who are not logged-in members see only thumbnails in Forum posts (like No Words)--looks bad for a photo site

<br>

BUGS <br>

Portfolio:

sort by views doesn't work properly--repeats the same images for some users?

equipment details lost

no place to add lens info

clicking on favorites image inconsistently causes 404 error

<br>EXIF data that are listed are not always correct

Forums:

can't enter paragraph breaks without HTML code

"write your reply" overprints one's attempts to write one's reply

serif font keeps appearing for no apparent reason for some viewers?<br>

intermittent 404 error when accessing POTW from Explore tab--possibly browser-related<br>

clicking on your icon at the top of the Forum page kicks you out to the site's Home page<br>

setting up alerts for forums does not stick for some users; may work for new threads & not new messages<br>

intermediate pages missing on old threads<br>

several users have been unable to upload photos or files to forum threads<br>

intermittent 404 error accessing POTD & Critique from Explore tab

Search:

doesn't go to member's page

member's photos aren't all their own

member's photos aren't in galleries

General:

page auto-refreshes and becomes unusable for many users<br>

link to renew membership doesn't work

Profile information:

avatar selection doesn't work with some browsers or computers

a year in membership length is lost for 9 to 10-yr members

cannot edit account information

everyone appears to have become a resident of the USA<br>

lifetime members are being told they need to become members<br>

some users cannot access their account page

<br>

OMISSIONS or DESIGN ISSUES<br>

Portfolio:

Titles truncated on gallery and portfolio views

1/5 of photo height obscured by unnecessary info that should appear only with mouse-over

need to be able to navigate to top of gallery, not use arrow button

portfolio thumbnail view is peculiar slices of photos--much better would be a smaller thumbnail of entire photo

blue background distorts colors in photos; needs to be neutral surround (suggestion to make color a choice)

need to be able to easily navigate to folder in which a gallery photo resides<br>

need something less cryptic than "home page" to get from a member's profile page to their gallery<br>

gallery order apparently cannot be specified; most recently updated gallery appears at top<br>

not all galleries are shown for some members<br>

when viewing photo, back arrow jumps you to top of portfolio, not to previous view; navigation difficult in portfolio<br>

changing order of photos in a gallery simply switches locations of two photos, making ordering very hard<br>

changing order of galleries simply switches locations of two galleries, making ordering very hard

Unified view:

doesn't give a choice of which forums to view

ones you click on don't stay there on next view so you must hunt for them

Forums:

too much wasted space on avatars, requiring unnecessary scrolling

mid-grey on light grey is hard to read<br>

no "like" or "reply" option on the POTW

Critique

need on-site list of our own comments

need on-site notification and list of follow-up comments

no editing available for comments made on photos after they are submitted<br>

email comment notifications need to distinguish between follow-up comments and comments on own photo<br>

cannot attach an image within a comment under a photo

General issues

too much scrolling required

avatar icons are too large in Forums

Need just a list of the comments made, not thumbnails

Need just a list of favorite photographers, not icons

Site home page images are too big; can't tell there's content below (solved)

can’t stay signed in for more than one day (no "stay signed in" option)<br>

need classified ad section (solved: see new Classified forum under Equipment)

Edited by Leslie Reid

I just made a comment on a photograph. Immediately after, I went to edit my remarks and couldn't find the "edit" function. Will you check that it's still working? I want to re-emphasize that I wished to edit the comment immediately after it was posted and not after ten minutes. (later edit) It appears I can edit on forums but not on pictures.

I can't update my account information, such as changing my screen name. I fill in the information, but when I click the Submit button it tells me to fill in the Address field. It is, trust me.

Omission: breadcrumbs on gallery photos so I can easily navigate to the folder that was the source of the photo. It's in the old site, why was it dropped?

I'll leave it at that for now. More to come. Lots more.

Ok, list of bugs so far:<br>

Major bug. Page "jumps" due to auto refresh unless "X" cancel button is used to freeze updates. This has been reported by numerous users.

<p><br>

"Write you reply..." heading doesn't go away on commencing typing.

<p><br>

Not a bug, but poor design. Mid grey on light grey is not very legible. Serif font keeps appearing for no apparent reason.

<p><br>

Breaks and line spacing have to be forced by html coding. This has been carried over from previous site incarnation and is tedious.

• Like 1

No matter how many times I go into my account and change my country I end up back in the USA. I've noted that although the drop down menu will allow me to choose the country that I do live in, the text remains grey in colour whereas all other text that I put in becomes black after I hit save.

When I go to my favourites and then to the images by members that appear, clicking on one off them brings me to a 404 error page approximately half of the time and the other half of the time it works. This inconsistency has been going on since the new site was launched.

Membership information still lost - 'lifetime' membership and still being told to upgrade to 'premium'

Unable to share images to other sites or in messages with friends. Used to be billed as a feature of the site to host images for linking elsewhere.

How to disable or change the 'bubble' image - why on a photo site should any image other than my own work be shown when someone is viewing my portfolio?

Feature suggestion: Allow users to set the color scheme for anyone viewing their portfolio/galleries - blues, purples, oranges - ICK! What a complete visual mess.

Not sure I'm in the correct thread to post this. I am set up to receive email notifications, and received a message from photo.net that is confusing. Something else to work on, perhaps? The title of the message is "Commented Posted on your Portfolio" and the message states "The photo test received the following comment..." Again, confusing. I clicked the provided link, thinking someone commented on my portfolio. What I found was a comment, after one I had made, on a photo of a different member.

Setting up alerts doesn't appear to work and the UI there is odd (go into Alert Preferences>Watched Forums): Click check box of forum and then option from dropdown menu (Enable Email Notifications). Click OK, the dropdown reverts to "With Selected...", the forum check box disappears but worse, I get NO such emails. Totally broken.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Membership information still lost - 'lifetime' membership and still being told to upgrade to 'premium'

Unable to share images to other sites or in messages with friends. Used to be billed as a feature of the site to host images for linking elsewhere.

How to disable or change the 'bubble' image - why on a photo site should any image other than my own work be shown when someone is viewing my portfolio?

Feature suggestion: Allow users to set the color scheme for anyone viewing their portfolio/galleries - blues, purples, oranges - ICK! What a complete visual mess.

I like your suggestion Norm. Will talk to the DevTeam about users picking their own color scheme but would likely come from presets. Also - will check again on lifetime memberships - there aren't many but I know you are one of them!

• Like 1

Gallery view shows only 4 galleries and there's no refresh or <more> option (Chrome & Firefox Browsers). Then the galleries shown are the most recently updated not in the order I have set those galleries to see by preference. If I go through my profile I can see all galleries but I can't edit or update any of the images in any way then.

Navigating through what's left of my portfolio is a nightmare. If I scroll down through my photos,and select one for viewing, the back arrow always returns to the top of my photo page rather than to where I left off. Please don't tell me to view pictures in their individual galleries because most of those are still missing. For me at least, the present version (on the photo side at least) is simply unusable. Edited by Jack McRitchie

Setting up alerts doesn't appear to work and the UI there is odd (go into Alert Preferences>Watched Forums): Click check box of forum and then option from dropdown menu (Enable Email Notifications). Click OK, the dropdown reverts to "With Selected...", the forum check box disappears but worse, I get NO such emails. Totally broken.

Check your spam

I get Error 404 about half the times on click on the POTW link under the EXPLORE tab.

We tried numerous times to replicate and could not. Not saying it wasn't happening to you, all I am saying is we could not replicate this bug here to diagnose and confirm it was a bug. Jin is bringing more servers on with load balancing, I don't think this would impact current performance as he is doing, but if it did, that could have been what you experienced.