Budget wedding scheduling

george_crawford

Who's paying for film and processing? Gas there and back? Batteries for your flash?

This may be the skimpiest budget I've heard of ... outside of free.

The couple must be good friends (?)

Answer to your last question, probably not. But I've done cheap if they are friends.

But never that cheap... outside of free that is ; -)

If you haven't shot many weddings and want to do it for the experience, then maybe you can make it work. I'm in this position and did something like this last weekend - although it was for a little more and only about 2 hours. Doing this assumes you probably won't make any money for your work, or at least not much. I suppose you could justify the number based on what your expenses will be and see what's left. How long do they expect you to shoot?

It sounds like this may be your first wedding. Is that right??

I learned the hard way that shooting weddings is a TON of work. I started with some cheap prices to get into it. But after all the post-wedding work, I realized that wanted to make more than minimum wage. :)

I suspect the only way to make a profit on a $250 wedding is for it to be very short, and to shoot digital and burn a CD of images, with little to no post-production and let the b&g make their own prints.

Don't forget that even if you don't have film and processing costs, that you have time, equipment depreciation, gas, etc. I could go on and on about not pricing too low, but you'll figure that out soon enough.

To specifically answer your questions:

Usually a retainer is required (maybe $100 to 50% of the fee) to hold the date, but in this case I'd collect it all up front. For a contract, a good place to start is in Tad Crawford's book, "Business & Legal Forms for Photographers". But even so, I'd have a lawyer review your contract. Finally, this isn't something I would do on this budget, but I'm not you.

If you are just starting out and/or have time to make a quick $250.00... why not?<br>

Two months ago, I had one wedding that I only made $250.00 (no contract, no deposit)<br>

But, it was a special case.. they had a situation, and had a 15 minute wedding on the balcony right at my neighborhood<br>

Normally, I would not take the job.<div>009ZsU-19758384.jpg.bc4fbce4b27be04d9e840e9f4105b879.jpg</div>

I guess I disagree with the above poster. Perhaps you'll just break even after expenses, but if this couple truely has limited funds, then why not help them out? I am doing a wedding next weekend that I booked forever ago when I first started shooting weddings, and even then I took it because I wanted to help them out.

I feel good about knowing they will have some really special images from their wedding day. Let's not get so above ourselves that we forget why we do this, is just for money? I am blessed that my business isn't my families main source of income. I can't speak for you and your situation, but if they will truely appreciate it, and aren't out to get a good deal, then go for it. You may capture that one image that you'll treasure forever, and they will too.

Enjoy!

Teresa<div>009Ztc-19758484.jpg.4df0a7818885d537a933e273c4facfbc.jpg</div>

We do quite a few budget weddings ( 2 to 4 people) during the week--and welcome them! But we charge $250 per hour (2 hour minimum) and just hand them the exposed 2-3 rolls of film..never any processing. 20 minutes travel time R/T >>> is included, also.<div>009a3I-19763884.jpg.272e589c3e606eb83339d7a032c757a3.jpg</div>