Bruce Chatwin photographer

rgerraty

<p>The novelist Bruce Chatwin was a wonderful photographer. I bought for my wife a book of his photographs 'Winding Paths' years ago and often look through it. There are photographs of his in 'In Patagonia', my copy of which I currently cannot find. It occurred to me to check whether he might have used a Leica and found this reference to a Guardian article:<br>

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2003/jan/09/photography.artsfeatures<br>

(My wife hasn't taught me html yet.)</p>

<p>Many years ago I read "In Patagonia" and after that searched a long time for a copy of his "Photographs & Notebooks" and also read his biography by Susannah Clapp. These books reveal he was very picky about the few things he carried in his travels (e.g. his "Mephisto" shoes, the "Moleskin" notebooks, and his english leather backpack). His camera indeed was a Leica as stated in the aforementioned books.</p>

<p>Oh well,<br>

I have Photography and Notebooks, it's ok, but not that good either... his writing is much better than his photography... I'm reading In Patagonia in this very moment, while actually traveling through it... hope to get some good shots.</p>