Brownie

<p>found a Target Brownie six-16 in my garage with the owners manual. is it worth anything?<br>

also found an Argus argoflex Seventy-five with a flash that has 2 probe things that attach it to the side of the camera, I think they are electrical connections. The Argus still has the leather case. is it worth anything?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>What you have there are a couple of "family" cameras ranging from the 1940s-1950s (in the case of the Brownie, and the 1940s to the early 1960s in the case of the Argus. The Brownie is the quintessential "Bakelite Box" camera that recorded the daily lives of millions of Americans for several decades.</p>

<p>The two pins on the side are for the flash grip and reflector bowl. This camera is still a 'bulb' system. Both are worth anywhere between $10 and $20 each, depending upon condition and collector interest. Garage sale editions often go for much less.</p>

<p>The Argus is a "Dad the Family Photographer" entry level Twin Lens Reflex (TLR). Both can be a lot of fun to shoot--but there is an obstacle that takes a bit of work to overcome. The Brownie used Kodak 616 film. The Argus Kodak 620 film. Both sizes were introduced by Kodak in 1932. Neither has been made by an OEM film producer in many decades...</p>

<p>There are several solutions. Both films are the same width as currently available 120 stock. 620 film that is Kodak & Fuji 120 BW and Color respooled on properly sized rolls is readily available at BH Photovideo and other outlets. The 616 generally takes a bit more ingenuity--respooling a roll of contemporary 120 onto a 616 film spool--or making modifications to the camera in order to accept 120 spools. Spools for this are available from a number of sources. Here is a link to modifying the Brownie:</p>

<p>http://www.brownie-camera.com/articles/petelutz/use-120-film-in-116-616-camera.shtml</p>

<p>Google is your friend here--enjoy if you decide to proceed! A word of note. If you do not do your own BW processing--or are shooting one of the respooled Fuji or Kodak color films (Portra 160), make sure that you find a company that WILL RETURN YOUR EMPTY SPOOLS TO YOU.</p>

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

<p>My favorite camera price site:</p>

<p>http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Kodak-Eastman/Brownie-Target-Six-16-(US).html</p>

<p>says $20 to $30 with low accuracy.</p>

<p>Unlike old toys, which get rare as more and more get thrown away, people rarely throw away old cameras. There are a lot of cameras, old and not so old, worth about $10. In another thread, I noted that the Nikon N2020, a fancy SLR from not so many years ago, is also worth about $10. (not including lens). </p>

<p>Some 620 cameras can use 120 as a source spool. That makes it easier. </p>

<p>616 film is just a little wider. </p>

<p>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_format</p>

<p>indicates that 620 ended in 1995 and 616 in 1984. Two or three decades. </p>

-- glen

<p>Exactly Glen. The whole idea of sprucing up a crappy Diana reminds me of this old set of Kaligar snap on lenses for a Kodak Instamatic 314 camera that I have, except even those were of relatively high quality compared to the plastic Lomo stuff.<br>

Though admittedly I do think $300 is a pretty fair asking price for all that the kit includes, though they could've admittedly used a bit better of plastic while still keeping it cheap.</p>