Bronzing effect in black areas with some papers

I use an Epson 1280. Occasionally I will buy paper I have not used

previously. In some cases I get what I call a "bronzing" effect in

areas of total black. When viewed straight on, it can not be seen,

but when turned at an angle to the light their is a metallic

blotching with a bronze tint in areas of total black only.

A few months ago I noticed this was a problem when I tried using

Kodak satin paper. Yesterday I bought a box of Kirkland

Professional Glossy Inkjet Photo Paper and followed the printer

setting recommendations that came with the paper. The paper is made

for Costco in Switzerland, has a very nice finish, is heavier in

weight than most printing paper, and produced an exact color match

from the monitor image. Except for the bronzing, the results were

nice.

I have no problem when using Epson Matte or their inexpensive glossy

paper (not Premium).

I'm wondering what causes this, is it common, and is their a way to

solve the problem?

I have tried different paper settings, and it is on the "quality"

setting.

Any thoughts? I can return the paper, but it's frustrating trying a

new paper when having to buy a whole box.

That's strange, because the 1280 uses dye-based ink. Do you use third party ink?

It is caused by the ink not being absorbed by the paper. When instead it accumulates on the surface, the variation in ink deposited over the paper creates a "gloss differential".

When printing with a pigment ink, the solid pigment particles are deposited on the top of the paper, while the ink carrier sinks into the paper, eventually to evaporate. The pigment particles are dull. They obscure the glossy surface under them based on how the printer lays down ink for the image. Areas of solid coverage will look dull compared to areas of little coverage which will let the paper's gloss show through. The effect is called gloss differential, or bronzing.

Dye inks don't have this problem. The dyes don't stop at the surface; they sink into the paper and stain the paper fibers. The paper's gloss can show because it isn't obscured by anything.

Some companies sell "sampler" packs of paper, usually 2 sheets each 8x10 of several papers (MIS for 1) I have tried over 50 papers, and have not found a single glossy or semi-glossy that doesn't show bronzing when printing B&W. Most also show bronzing in color for black areas. I don't use glossy for this reason. I'm using MIS inks on an Epson 1270, but had the same results with Epson inks. The best paper I found, best color, richest black, both &W and color, is Concorde Rag, now of course discontinued.

You may be able to eliminate (or at least reduce) the bronzing by raising the black level of an image before printing, using curves or levels. Print a greyscale series of patches with levels 0,4,8,12,16,... You may well find that the lowest levels print with the same density of black and with some bronzing. Note where the levels begin to become distinguishable and the bronzing stops and set the black level to this point.

This is very good info. Thank you. In fact I have had this problem on Epson Premium Glossy in areas where the image blacks were very black (when I incresded shadowing in PS too much or increased contrast too high in jpegs). When I reduced the shadow density or contrast to mellow the blacks, the problem disappeared.

It only happens on high gloss paper.

I do plan to start using Epson Luster paper.

I also use a generic ink that I buy through www.amondotech.com (a company local to my area) and I have had no problems with it in terms of color differences or unusual fading. They guarantee the ink and batteries and regularly send out support info on their products, so I have confidence in this ink. This is not intended as a promotion...just informational.

You might try one of Epson's matte papers. I don't normally like matte prints, but this stuff is completely different: it's not so much matte as completely texture free. No matter how hard you look, you can't see a paper surface, consequently, the prints have a really unusual deep glow. It's especially good for B&W prints printed with black ink only checked on the printer properties/advanced page. And, it's dirt cheap.

Michael,

Thank you for the suggestion. Epson Heavyweight Matte (not really heavyweight) is the paper I usually use, and I ordered two boxes of 11x14 stock recently from B&H. I like to use that for wedding display portraits. Easy to view under lights.

For something with a bit of shine, I think I should buy some Epson Luster, but I'd like to try it first. I have not had any luck with high gloss papers.

Epson Glossy Photo Paper (not Premium) is not a true high glass and does not have the bronzing effect. The Premium Glossy brings out the sharpness of the image like almost nothing else, but the surface is very delicate and I do get some bronzing with that in deep black areas.

• 4 years later...