bronicia s2 with steel gears question

Andrew, I have only S2a's, but they have the serial number followed by "S2a" engraved on the top of the body just behind the viewfinder. I guess, if this is not the case with yours, it's an S2...I think the brass components were in the gear train inside the body, rather than at the final wind stage.

Bronica S2a

672228435_BronicaPnet.JPG.74bcd0c6c2a3736725476d79da705c3f.JPG

Some later S2A cameras (and backs) do not show "S2A" after the serial number (like in your example, Rick : I have a S2 body and corresponding back not engraved "S2A" but I have an extra back which has it whereas your body has it but your back does not - however, it is a later S2A back).

The only two ways to tell S2 or S2A (apart internal gears) are

- grey leatheret for S2 and black leatheret for S2A (I find grey more "sexy")

- the size of the winding knob bigger and conical on the S2

Paul

If you show me a top view of your camera, I will be able to tell you

You are right, in the "bible of early bronica collectors" by Tony Hilton, it is said page 62 describing S2a :

Body finish : Chrome and black*, grey (yes, grey, must be using up old stocks!) or black leatherette.

* meaning the metal parts

On all their early cameras, Hilton believes that they often made "incremental" :) modifications

BronicaBook.jpg.6b6625763499f10b50505ccaf6ee595a.jpg

guys thanks for your replies mine hasnt anything engraved after the serial number it was described as an s2 by the seller

the problem is its like brand new and id be afraid of droping it.The camera is so clean

ive ordered a type a op tech strap which will need filed out a bit to fit ive done this before on my ec-tl

im looking forward to using it it works perfectly

bronicias are great cameras ive several lenses for the ec-tl i can use on the s2 aswell

regards andrew