Bronica SQ AM

robert loop

Hello. I have been using old Rolleiflex and Ikoflex for some years. They are not heavy but slow to use. The

lenses are good.

I'd like to buy an easier to use 6x6 system .It seems that Bronica SQ AM is not too expensive.

What do you think about this camera ???

Thanks for any info.

Regards Robert

The SQ AM has a built in motor. I have three SQ-A bodies. If I don't want to carry anything too heavy I will use the waist level finder and regular crank. The Speed Grip makes the camera handle more like a 35mm SLR (yes it's heavier). Before you get an SQ AM you might want to try an SQ-A or SQ-Ai with a Speed Grip and prism finder.

• 2 weeks later...

The SQam motor is incredibly noisy. I mean, reaaaallly noisy. Maybe for studio use it would be OK, but I tried using it in public places or in closed spaces and it drew attention to me more then any camera I have ever used.

Also, the film advance mechanism is slow. Seems to take a full second or two to advance the film.

I have an SQa, and SQai, and SQam. I would recommend the SQai - you can find excellent condition bodies these days for $200 or less. I've been buying Bronica gear like crazy because it's so cheap now - most lenses can also be had for $200 or less, in superb condition.

Another note if you are not familiar with the Bronica line of lenses - when you are buying lenses, I would recommend that you always buy the newer "PS" lenses. There is a lot of debate about the differences between the "PS" and the older "S" lenses, but I find the newer line to be better in quality.

Jeff