Bronica SQ-A firing with darkslide in

Graham Mitchell

I picked up a Bronica SQ-A a few weeks ago, and until recently the darkslide interlock worked properly and the camera wouldn't fire if the darkslide was inserted. However, when I was fiddling with it today it was firing with the darkslide in.

The problem doesn't seem to be the direction the darkslide is inserted or anything like that; the tab on the darkslide still engages the pin on the back, and the interlock that won't let me remove the back unless the darkslide is in still works fine.

I was fiddling with it a bit yesterday when I had engaged the lock on the speed grip without realizing and couldn't figure out how to get that working again, so it's possible I broke something while doing that. It's not a huge deal, it just means I need to be more careful about whether my darkslide's in or not, but it is a little bit annoying.

Any ideas?

My Bronica SQ-A on rare occasion will fire off with the dark slide in. I think it happens when the dark slide is not fully pushed in. When this occurs I engage the double exposure lever, cock the shutter, pull the dark slide and shoot again.

I assume your only having problems with one particular back? Usually the problem is with the back but it could be with the body. I don't have my camera in front of me but I recall a pin that pops out of the body (winder side)when you press the shutter. if nothing is blocking it (in the back) it fires. Remove your back and fire your camera (advance in multiple exposure setting) and look at what is going on (or what is not going on). It's easy to figure out. At least you have a working camera, you just have to remember to pull out that slide.

In the end what fixed this was changing the battery. The one that was in it was showing okay with the battery check, but with a fresh battery it once again behaves properly and won't fire with the darkslide in. It's not just having taken the battery out and put it back in or anything like that, either, since I did that. So I guess maybe the battery check light isn't a perfect indicator of whether the battery is good enough for proper function or not.

• 5 months later...
I've just had the same happen on my first roll with an SQ-AM I bought recently. As it's the motorised version I had no choice but to live with a blank frame. I guess the fix is easy, leave the darkslide out unless I want to remove the back ☺️

I've just had the same happen on my first roll with an SQ-AM I bought recently. As it's the motorised version I had no choice but to live with a blank frame. I guess the fix is easy, leave the darkslide out unless I want to remove the back ☺️

Yes I don't use the darkslide unlesss I am changing backs.