Bronica SQ-A - camera body has noise of loose parts. Help!

jack_lam1

Hi,

I just received a used Bronica SQ-A package from ebay. Just shot some velvia

with it and seems to expose correctly.

But whenever I move the camera body around, tilt it from side to side or up side

down, I can hear a lot of little noise that sounds like loose springs or small

little parts moving inside.

It is normal? Does it happen to yours? Anything to lose sleep about?

By the way, if I want to be 100% sure of its condition and what to get it CLA'd,

any recommendation for repair shop in NYC? What's the approx. price for a CLA?

thanks

I have two SQ-Ai bodies here which are working properly and serviced every couple of years. Neither of them are silent when rotated on either axis. Of course I have no idea whether its the same noise as you can hear, but a light but distinct rattle might do it best. Frankly if you shake the lens (gently) that won't be silent. Neither is the body; neither is the Speedgrip.

If you've been right through the functions, watched the mirror go up and come down, and you're happy with the photographs then I'd vote for leaving it alone. It would be easier to brief a technician if the camera was displaying a fault in any case.

I'm in the UK so can't begin to speculate on the cost of repair in NYC. But I do reckon that anything but the most basic repair might well cost you as much as you'd spend on a replacement body or back or lens or whatever.