Bronica S2 645 Back and Mask

jimmy_rhyne

I have a great S2 and recently got a 645 back. I do not know if

Bronica made masks for the viewfinder and if they are still

available. I would like any feedback if there is such a product or

how can I construct my own 645 mask for the viewfinder. I use 35mm

stuff mainly.

I have been making masks for years using colored acetate - red is my favorite. I use the acetate that is used for report covers - you should be able to get them at any good office supply. I just cut it to fit in the viewfinder on top of the GG screen, and use an Xacto knife to cut our the field that I will actually be using. I like this system because I can still see what is around but left out of what I actually get in the frame. I have used this on my 4x5 as well to show what is included when I am using a roll film back.

SP

You can also draw framing lines on the groundglass with a pencil, if you're careful (you need to remove it in order to access the matte surface). Look at Sam Sherman's instructions for fixing Bronica focus problems on Robert Monaghan's classic Bronica website for instructions on removing and replacing the groundglass.

The key issues are: Don't force anything or you might break or scratch the glass; don't lose any screws or washers; and, take note of the orientation of the fresnel lens, so that if you take it out you will know how it goes back.

If you go to any office supply store you can find special "Lumocolor AV" felt tipped pens from a company called Staedtler. The pens are made for drawing on the acetate film used in overhead projection, and will work fine on the smooth side of the viewfinder groundglass. You can put in your frame lines without removing the glass - just get the finder hood out of the way and measure and mark the frame outlines you want.

BTW: The pens come in two varieties: water soluble and permanent. Both will work, but you will have to use alcohol to remove the permanent pen while a damp kleenex will take off the water soluble.