Bronica RF645 update anyone?

mark_satola1

Thinking about getting a medium format rangefinder and am leaning toward the Bronica RF645, now sadly

discontinued. Really about 90% sold on it, to tell the truth. I've seen many postings regarding the system's

lack of a telephoto lens, and am not particularly put off by that, as I would primarily be using it as a big-

negative street camera. Otherwise, everything I've read -- usually dating from 2001-2003 -- praises this

compact shooter to the skies. Apparently a lot of people love it to pieces.

Is anyone currently using one? Or has used one for at least a year maybe? I'd be interested in some 2007

evaluations of its performance, reliability, durability, etc. Thanks in advance.

Love mine! Great camera for candids as it's quick focusing and the vertical orientation is perfect for albums. I've grown to trust the dedicated flash for fill light outdoors. The optics are as good as anything I've seen (even the vaunted German glass).

Mark

The RF645 is a great value with superior image quality. The leaf shutter allows you to shoot one stop slower speed which off sets the f/4 lens speed. The OOF imaging is smooth and the lens produces lots of sharpness and contrast. Ergonomics and handling are best in class. You have enough spread in the 3 focal lengths to do most photography. This is the last medium format camera designed and a better buy than the Mamiya RFs.

Agree with the praises above. The RF645 is a great camera, well made, easy to use, compact in size (about 2cm taller than a Leica M), quiet in operation. I was fortunate in opting to order both the 45 and 100mm lenses at the same time I got the body with 65mm. The now-hard-to-find 100mm isn't very long for 6x4.5, giving about the same angle of view as a 63mm in 135 format, so it's a "long normal" to complement the 65mm as a "wide normal".

The system's only real drawback, I think, is the lack of 45mm framelines in the viewfinder.<div>00M1uo-37682384.jpg.e250fa416d99ec1bc71ed88b76601af3.jpg</div>

Only drawback from my point of view is lack of TTL. Having said that I tried the Fuji 645zi which has all the gadgets, but didn't like the flimsiness and sold it, replacing it with the Bronica. I'm very happy with the exchange. The Bronica is much better built and the lenses very good. My first choice when small size is important.

On trips I am as apt to use the RF 645 with 45 and 65mm lenses than either of my SLR film systems. If I am going to the trouble of going to these wonderful places, I may as well the get the best potential image I can from the larger negative. I am thinking of supplementing the RF 645 with only a lightweight Canon SLR (AV-1 or AT-1) SLR with and 85 or 100mm, with an extension tube for close-ups, or with a Leicaflex SL with 90mm, same set-up. As much as I love the RF645, and the fact I've had NO reliability issues, I wouldn't trust it (or any of my cameras) to be the only camera.

I love the RF645. The body is really really great - solid, and perfectly designed if you ask

me. Good finder, great ergonomics. The lens proves that you can have a super sharp lens,

that still renders very smooth out of focus areas. Picture quality wise I think you will not

get much better out of 645 shooting.

Composing with a rangefinder is not for everyone (I'm the kind of guy that often crops that

extra 5% out of my slr pictures cause I find that I prefer what I saw through the

viewfinder). I'm getting the hang of it and enjoy the ride. I love the vertical orientation - I

shoot 70-80% of my photos that way.

Would love to get buy the 45mm lens.