flash. This is the second time I have had this camera, the first

time being only a short while, and I can't really tell you why I got

rid of it. Anyway, Since this camera has been out now for a while I

just wanted to ask users of this camera if they have come across any

malfunctions, or weak spots, if any, with the camera and lenses

that I should look out for. I am not trying to give this camera a

bad name or anythin, actually I think it is a very well built camera

that I have been using constantly since I got it. I am actually

thinking about buying a second body and carry both around with me.

Which leads me to my other question. Can you buy this body without

the 65mm lens coming with it? Thanks alot

Greetings.

I've had the RF645 for about two years now. I bought it used and have had no problems with it. I use it as my "walking around" camera when I don't want to backpack the Hasselblad and tripod. When exmanining the transparecies with a loupe, I can't detect any difference than what I get with the Hasselblad. However, I find that I have to use ISO 400 film (Provia 400F) to obtain sufficient depth of field while hand-holding. My preference is slower film (usually ISO 100), but then I'm back to using a tripod and that defeats my intention of using the Broncia. I love using it; feels really comfortable in my hands. I haven't found the vertical format to be an issue. I'm staying with the single 65mm lens to keep the operation simple. I use it mostly in automatic mode and have never had any exposure problems. I recently photographed some snow scenes. The exposure compensation adjustment for snow

(I used +1 1/2) was very accurate.

I'm making a trip to the Tetons in September. I'll use the RF645 and Provia 400F when I need a break from the Hasselblad.

The RF645 won't be my primary camera because I prefer the compositional advantage of the SLR and slower process. But it sure is fun to walk around and obtain properly exposed medium format slides for projection. Jerry.

No problems at all and I like it more all of the time. It's fast and the optics are top notch. My slr's spend lots of time idle and I tend to use the little RF for more and more duties. My vertical alignment is just a bit off but not enough to be distracting or interfere with accurate focus so I've just left it alone.

I've had a set including the three lenses (45mm, 64mm and 100mm) and the flash since last April. I've shot about 30 rolls in total of Kodak Portra NC 160 and Portra VC 400.

I haven't had trouble with DOF but I am not shooting landscapes, or when I do it is bright. (The 45mm has good DOF when stopped down.)

I have a few niggles.

1. It's easy to forget you've left the lens cap on the 45mm or 64mm lens when you habitually keep it on inside the hood.

2. The cap of the 100mm lens fits into the hood but it is not secure and can easily be knocked out.

3. The exposure compensation switch can be fairly easy moved when putting the camera in/out of the bag.

4. I don't like the way the non-automatic exposure information is displayed in the viewfinder.

But to be fair, these problems are all created mainly by my cack-handedness.

There are a couple of other niggles which are pretty widely known.

A) There are no brightlines for the 45mm in the viewfinder. If you want accurate framing you have to attach the accessory viewfinder. I don't usually bother.

B) The 135mm lens was difficult to focus accurately because the rangefinder base is too short. This lens was therefore discontinued, leaving the system with only a very short telephoto option. (The 100mm is a nice lens, though.)

Given these problems, it would be great if Bronica would put out a lower magnification viewfinder with brightlines for the 45mm, 65mm and 100mm lenses, but that's unlikely to happen.

However, overall the camera is very good, well-made, and the auto-exposure works well. I enjoy using it and never regret buying it.

I haven't seen the body advertised without the 65mm lens. If I got a second body I'd keep the lens.

I've had the complete system (100mm lens version) for some time now and run 30

plus films through it, with no problems.

You do have to watch the exposure compensation dial, and remembering the lens cap

is probably a good idea!

Always keep spare batteries with you (especially if your going somewhere particularly

cold!) because if the batteries go dead. No more picture taking!

Once you have got used to the portrait orientation this is an absolutely excellent

camera. Highly recommended.

I highly recommend the RF for general purpose photography. Can one buy the body without the 65mm lens? Perhaps, using an on-line auction, however, the 65mm optic is optimized for the camera and walking around. I would not sell my 100mm or the 45mm as they are inexpensive and add limited flexibility to the kit.

This is my second RF645. I have no issues with features, performace or reliability. In fact, the build quality is at the top of the scale. The increased negative size allows one to crop for a stonger image or print to 8x10 in a wet darkroom. Use your 35mm for low light or with a telephoto. Consider the camera a Texas Leica. The 65mm and especially the 100mm even have great bokeh.

I've had mine (an early production one that I bought on Ebay.) for about a year, and I love it. I won't relist all the good qualities that people have already mentioned.

Some talking points:

:: I often use 220 film, for 32 (more or less) exposures. Half as many unload-load procedures. Pain to process though.

:: I wish the normal lens was a 75mm f2.8, but if wishes were fishes then beggars would ride. (or something)

:: Sometimes the last quarter inch on the wind level is stiff. Feels like it's done, the lever snaps back as though it were done, but little red "X" shows in the viewfinder and the camera won't fire. The first few times it happened, I thought the camera had jammed.

:: Finally, I just got the 100mm lens. My camera has the 135mm frame, so it has to go to Tamron for modification. Costs $95.00 to fix their mistake. They gave me a $50 rebate, then took it back, and then some. Can't say I'm thrilled with their support.

:: For people who are put off by the wrong way viewfinder, all I can say is try it for a week -- you'll stop noticing.

:: Finally again: I've shot several rolls of transparency film while intentionally letting the Program or auto exposure have complete control. No second guessing. Results were just fine, except in cases where I purposely tried to trick it, and normally would done some compensating.

Overall the Bronica is way high in my list of favorites, and is often the one I take with me for a weekend in another city (along with a 35mm rangefinder with a fast lens for indoors.)

Scott, if you have the camera with 135 frame lines, try to get a used 135 lens on eBay. It is VERY good and not as difficult to focus as some people have claimed. I am a big Hasselblad fan, and I had the Bronica 645 (with 135 lens) for a while. The slides were every bit as good as from my Hassie, but I went back to Hasselblad eventually because I love square format and find it easier to compose on the waistlevel screen, but that's just a personal preference. The Bronica is very good camera!

• 1 month later...

I've only had mine a week so I don't have much experience with it yet. But I do have a

warning for some. I am dominant with my left eye. I've always held a camera's

viewfinder up to my left eye (45 years of doing it!). With this camera it is almost

impossible to see the viewfinder information this way. If I use my right eye the angle

is such that a slight glance to the left and the information is in full view. In fact I think

the design is exceptional for right eye use. You can avoid seeing it completely until

you need to. It is then a simple adjustment. Being left eyed though Its a mild

annoyance having to break a life long habit to use this camera. I don't mind using the

right eye. But I instinctivly go for the left and each time end up going Doh!!! I have no

problem with the vertical orientaton, doesn't seem to be an issue for me.