Bronica GS-1 focus screens

My experienc eis with the SQ-Ai but I believe the GS-1 screen options to be the same. Bear in mind that the camera was discontinued a little time ago and the possibility to call a dealer that has all seven options in stock is probably gone for ever- so it might be the case that you're limited to what comes up on eBay or the odd one popping up in the dealer network. The presence or absence of focus aids in the centre is entirely a personal thing. I find a split image device very helpful for ensuring exact focus but the microprism collars useless. But I don't think anybody can give you information that is guaranteed to be right for you, and you should look back at your experience with other manual focus.

The brightness issue is more factual. You won't get a brighter screen by installing a new Bronica version. You may get different framelines incorporated, or a grid, or a split image/microprism together or separately. But you won't get brighter. Brighter means a third party screen like Beattie or (better) Maxwell. I've found Beattie screens a lot brighter but not necessarily easier to see through or easier to focus. The Maxwell screens do both. Both these options are quite expensive- more than $100 anyway. In both cases you can get your choice of focus devices/screen guides.

A final point is that the use of a brighter third party screen will tend to throw out any prism metering you use (more light through the screen/ meter thinks its lighter/meter underexposes). You can of course easily test and compensate for that or indeed have the meter recalibrated. Obviously that only affects prism meters.

Dave's advice is correct. I recently obtained a Bronica-made split image/microprism. The split image works very well but the microprism is completely useless (very disappointing). Bronica did make a split image only version but it is unlikely that you'll come across it any time soon, new or used. Having said that, I'm glad I have the split image (cost me $90 new)...it does make focusing easier in a variety of situations. Also, I have heard similar positive comments about Maxwell. Basically, you have two options with Maxwell....send him your matte screen and he will modify it for about $90, or he can create a new one for you (about $200). He says end result is about the same. But it will throw off the prism metering perhaps 1/4 to 1/2 a stop. Of course, you can adjust this with the ASA dial so ultimately no a big deal.

• 11 years later...