Bronica ETRSi Darkslide interlocks

mary_frazier

From your previous posts I think you have a Bronica ETRSi. Assuming that this works the same as the SQAi then

You can't take pictures with the darkslide in, at least via the buttons on the camera/Speedgrip if you have one.

You can't remove a back unless the darkslide is in.

You can change lenses with the darkslide in or out.

I'm always very pleased to be able to help fellow Bronica users. but you know you could have found out the answer to your question yourself by simply trying to photograph with the darkslide in, in less time than it took you to post this. The maximum grief would have been one lost frame.

Mary, I can speak only of the RB67 and the Koni Omegas, both of which work the same is this regard. Each has an interlock to prevent shooting with the darkslide fully in, but each also allows shooting if the darkslide is pulled out about 1/8". I'm sure that, whatever camera you have, it has an interlock, but be sure to check the condition I mentioned, because that WILL let you end up with a blank roll of film.

I'm sorry -- I didn't say which system I have. It's an ETRS. I think I found out the answer. Problem is, I DID shoot with the darkslide in...the entire roll! (How embarassing!) I found out that if the darkslide is ajar just a tiny bit, it will allow exposure and allow for the back to be taken off. I tested it and I'm sure that's what happened. Thanks for the responses! :)

Mary

I reported this problem with Bronica cameras (ETRS SQ, and 6x7) on this forum a couple of years ago having suffered much the same as you.

I didn't ring any bells with anyone then. Ihave talked to Bronica's UK importers, but there is no way they can get it changed. You just have to take extra care!

Geoff Meadowcroft

I had one Bronica back that would fire with the darkslide still in place. I ended up sending it in to Tamron for repair and everything is fine now. If the back is old, might be time for a look. I believe that the repair from Tamron was around $90.

Jim

• 8 years later...

Dear Mary

The short answer is NO! the camera WILL BE LOCKED UNTIL YOU REMOVE THE DARKSLIDE. You need to know also that ON A

BACK MADE FOR THE ETRSi, (GRAY plastic finger grip on slide) AND NOT JUST ONE FOR AN ETRS (that's BLACK), the

darkslide cannot be withdrawn from the back while it is separated from the camera, so you cannot even fog the

film if you were to try, with the back off.

HOWEVER, BOTH THESE STATEMENTS ASSUME THAT THE GRAY DARKSLIDE IS FULLY PUSHED HOME INTO THE FILMBACK - IF

SLIGHTLY OUT, THEN THE INTERLOCK NO LONGER WORKS PROPERLY, AND ACCIDENTAL EXPOSURE IS POSSIBLE WITH THE DARKSLIDE

ALMOST COMPLETELY PUSHED HOME.... EVEN ABOUT 1/8th OF AN INCH OUT WILL ALLOW THE SHUTTER TO BE RELEASED, and you

will get an upright slice of photo taken, the rest being dark

THE RULE OF THUMB IS "ALWAYS EITHER PUSH THE DARKSLIDE COMPLETELY IN, OR TAKE IT OUT COMPLETELY" - you won't have

any problems then - UNLESS the camera has broken - sorry, "developed a fault"

I used the ETRS for weddings, and often I would push the shutter button, and nothing happened. This is either

that the darkslide is fully in, so it won't take a shot, or more usually, you have locked the shutter button,

(remembering there are two lock positions, and only one firing position). The important thing to do is NOT to

panic, even in a stressful situation - the camera is quite reliable, the photographer usually hasn't gone through

quality control so carefully. You need also to CHECK THE BATTERY before starting photographing - the red indicator

light at the edge of the viewfinder will light if there is enough power to operate the camera at the chosen

shutter speed. If the battery is drained, the shutter will still work, but only at 1/500 of a second. SO, KEEP

AN EYE ON THE BATTERY - it is

designed so that even in an emergency, the camera should work. Clever, but you need to be aware of it. IF YOU

HAVE LOST THE INSTRUCTIONS, let me know, and I can send you a scan of the whole manual, also the metered prism

instructions; (this applies to anyone who needs the instructions) Hoping this is of help, Regards, Adrian