broken nikon 18-70

cameron_price

Hey guys. I'm picking up a broken Nikon 18-70 DX lens from someone for $25.

The lens still autofocuses and meters with DSLR bodies properly, but it won't

zoom past 24 mm or so. I'm planning on picking up this lens, since it's

relatively inexpensive, and trying to repair it myself. If I mess it up, it's

not too bad of a loss in my opinion. Is anyone aware of how to fix this problem

(I've read on the web that it's a single loose screw), or know of any websites

that give step-by-step instructions on how to take apart lenses and put them

back together (pictures would be a great benefit!). Thanks everyone!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The screw to tighten is under the zoom rubber, do not take apart the lens side that attaches to the camera. Remove the rubber band for the zoom, then the one screw underneath, you can expand the lens from there and will see three screws, one will probably be loose. It takes more time to get the plastic collar lined up and to reassemble more than anything. Write if you have a question.

Cameron, I have a similar problem with an 18-70: was tromping through a refuge in Florida, apparently got some sand or grit in the focusing mechanism; hence it STICKS when I'm trying to frame and requires extra wrestling to get it to open up. I cdn't bring myself to send it in, so my solution was.... buy a nikon 17-55 f2.8! Still, that "wounded" 18-70 sits sorrowful atop my file cabinet, waiting for laying on of hands-- skilled hands and tools -- to heal it and make it usable again! So I join you in asking of same lens: What to do?

Ken, my 18-70 has been stuck at 70 for over a year. Nikon wanted too much to fix it ($200) so it has been sitting on the shelf. I am going to try your method and see what happens. Thanks for the information.

The problem with taking a lens apart is that once the elements are out of position, you should use special tools to adjust the alignment. If not, it could be soft in the entire range. But considering that your cost is $25, you don't have much to lose.

Tim, make sure you have a good set of phillips screwdrivers. Slide a thin small screwdriver blade under the zoom rubber and then work it off the lens. Then remove the one screw, it has a shaft that goes through the collar and into the main body of the lens. From there you will see some of the workings, you have to get the collars up towards the front element, extend the lens as if you were zooming to 70mm. From there there are three screws with some form of locktite on them, one (hopefully) will be loose, retighten, put a dab of locktite and reassemble. Re assembly was the toughest part, I kept trying to do it the same way over and over, finally retried a different way and it worked, tried it so many times I forget now how I did it though. Seems that I worked it all around the outer glass element and the outer element with collars lined up back to the rear portion of the assembly. Using the outer screw/pin as a reference for reassembly helped. If you have a point and shoot you can take photos for reference.

I did the exact same thing as Ken K. I also had a little trouble getting the front element

back on. The trick was to get the correct orientation of the zoom mechanism, so that

you can slide it back on and get the full zoom range. Sorry, I didn't take photos of the

procedure.

Afterwards, the zoom was sharp again as ever before, throughout the entire zoom

range, and now with a little less dust inside (since I blew this out before reassembly.)

Hey guys. I'm having a heck of a time finding these screws when I move the zoom ring and zoom collar up towards the front element, after removing the rubber zoom ring and the single screw found underneath it. The problem is that the zoom ring and zoom collar won't move very far towards the front element; and the thread that the zoom ring screws onto (it is roughly at the middle point of the lens, and it forms a perimeter around the entire lens) won't budge. I found a picture at this following link of what, I believe, the screws I should be targeting, but I just can't get to them. Help?

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281485

Cam, that link is a nightmare come true. You do not need to take apart the lens rear portion to tighten the three cam screws. The lens should zoom out far enough once you have the two collars disengaged to have access to the cam screws.

The screwdriver is pointed at the correct screw, one of the three. you can see the cast block to the left and down, that is where the screw that hold the collars in place goes into. You can judge the distance from there. The lens will expand to expose the cam screws, I suppose you could disassemble the lens as shown in the pics but it is several more steps and then you are handling the electronics as well. Personally I would not be placing electronics on a piece of aluminum foil as shown in one of the photos at the link you provided.<div>00Phnb-46945684.thumb.jpg.9f869096e8336cc42b2d0731d58a6984.jpg</div>

• 9 months later...
<p>Ken, thanks for supplying a repair solution to the Nikon 18-70mm zoom problem. My lens had been loose for some time, and after a motorcycle ride in northern New Mexico it finally jammed and would not go wider than ~24mm. I found the other posting (on another site) for repairing the lens by removing the mount and disassembling most of the parts to get to the zoom mount screws! Your method took me ~20 mins and the lens works well (still as sharp as when it was new).<br /> <br /> I do have a question: what lube would be recommended for the zoom mechanism? I presume it should be somewhat immune to temperature changes; won't run off when warm or stiffen up when cold. As I said the lens works well but the zoom is a bit stiff.</p>

<p>I would contact a camera shop for an answer to that. Using a lube that is not recommended could ruin the lens. Vapors from a lube not intended for lenses could haze or damage the glass. If you find one that is recommended please pass on the information here, good luck.</p>

<p>I found this forum today because I've had the same problem with my 18-70. Thanks to the help and direction I found here, it took me 20 min. to get to the loose cam screw and tighten it. Not only did that get rid of the annoying wobble I've had with the front assembly, but my zoom now works full range again. My lens is fully functional, except when zooming out to 18mm it bottoms out with about a 1mm gap between the flange on the front assembly and the zoom barrel. I'm going to disassemble it again to figure out why, but I wanted the best lubricant available to apply before re-assembly. I came across this link which might prove helpful:<br /> http://www.apug.org/forums/forum65/36021-helicoid-lubrication.html<br /> There is a mix of opinions but you'll get the idea.</p>

<p>I managed to get a tiny amount of lube from the local camera repair guy. It is Nikon helical grease, part #3650914a, and he said a 1/2 oz is a lifetime supply!<br>

You can find the direct link to Micro-Tools, a company that sells camera tools and other supplies here:<br>

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/SearchByCategory.aspx?CategoryCode=LUB<br>

Best of luck all...<br>

-David</p>

<p>The best I could do was a tube of lith grease from Princess Auto that cost me $1.99. I bought it, but I can't bring myself to apply it to lens parts. My trouble is I have no idea where to start looking for the right stuff in the Vancouver area. I'll try Camtex or Brighouse.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Ken, thanks for your great advice, but I still have no success with this broken 18-70 Nikkor. Mine was stuck at 35mm and could not be zoomed more than that... That's why it's a bit difficult to find these 3 screws ..<br>

I thought they could be hidden somewhere since the lens could not zoom at the longest focal length.<br>

Do you have any clue?</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p >I disassembled mine and found the same loose screw and put it all back together and the zoom works better than ever. It now makes a high pitched (squeak) sound while focusing and it seems like the focusing might be a little bit slower than before, but it works fine. Any ideas for eliminating the squeak? Lube? </p>

<p ></p>

<p >Braden</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Thanks Ken K for posting about the fix. I had similar problems with the rough/jammed zoom and I tried your recommended fix and it worked well for me. I took some pictures and roughly noted the steps I took so I can pay it forward for others who might have similar problems.<br>

http://irvdabird.multiply.com/journal/item/2/Nikon_AF-S_DX_Zoom-NIKKOR_18-70mm_DIY_Fix</p>

<p>Sounds like a gear Braden. An alignment issue, lube won't fix it, but could make it worse.</p>

<p>Irv, I am glad to see your post on the procedures you took to correct your lens. I am sure others will use your information themselves. Nice work.</p>