Broken lens -_- what to do now

logan_mazanec

I have two lenses that broke on my trip to the Grand Canyon earlier this year.

One fell out of my camera bag and the mechanics are

damaged.

The other one looks like part of the glass got a stress fracture. You can't tell when taking a photo there is anything wrong when

you are using a polarizing filter.

I was going to post photos of the damage with this post, but this is my first post ever and I'm not sure how to do it. My

question is do I bother trying to repair them or should I try to sell them as is and use the money to invest in other optics. I'm just do

bummed. I've had them for 5+ years and taken them on many backpacking trips with no problems and then my most epic trip and they

freaking break on me. Grrr!<div>00bfRT-538451584.thumb.jpg.6109ca9aa82f24150047955b67747bca.jpg</div>

I have heard mixed responses from people who have used Nikon's repair services and that their estimated are normally

at least half of what it would cost in the end. I wonder if anyone here has had experience with them and can give me

some insight.

<p>Just to point out the obvious, the damage looks serious so that your options are limited: either get them repaired or assume that they are a total loss.</p>

<p>It is not entirely clear to me which lenses those are and how much their current value would be, if they are not damaged. Getting a repair estimate is pretty much your only option unless you are willing to throw them away. If the repair cost exceeds or even approaches their value, of course you are probably not going to get them fixed.</p>

<p>Nikon USA's repair cost tends to be high. However, they are not going to charge you more than their final estimate. You can try Authorized Photo Service as an alternative. They are near Chicago.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>One fell out of my camera bag and the mechanics are damaged.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>followed by...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>and they freaking break on me. Grrr!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Seems a bit harsh on the poor things. How about 'I Broke' rather than 'They Freaking Break'? Can't quite tell what lenses they are to determine whether they're worth repairing. I'm guessing lens 1 is an 18-200MM judging by the 72mm filter size. Oh, and what's that totally smashed orangey filter in the background of shot 3? I guess it belonged on lens 1, just doesn't look 72mm.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Looks almost like a piece of hair stuck between glass parts.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes it does, you don't own a white cat do you? Is it actually between elements in an air-gap, or kinda inside between glass and the aperture?</p>

I guess I mid phrased things the orange filter was one I broke a long time ago and just not thrown away. I really do take

good care of my equipment. I have gone backpacking over 30 times and not broken or lost a thing and then I did this and

it was my fault and I am so pissed at myself because buying new lenses was not what I wanted to be doing right now.

The bigger lens is an 18-200mm 3.5-5.6G ED DX VRI and the other one was an inexpensive 28-80 3.3-5.6 G I picked up

on eBay.

The 18-200 is the one I dropped. I was so worried about the glass I did notice that I had obliterated the mechanics until I

tried to use it.

The 28-80 the "hair" looks to be between elements. On top of the bulby one. I don't own any cats but who knows. I don't

know if getting it serviced would take care of it.

Again I apologize if I sounded cavalier with my initial posting.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Logan

Look at it this way, at least you broke them out and about actually doing something with them besides just buying (NAS)

and talking about them. Either way, all you can do is send them to a reputable place for an estimate and based on your

original cost and a possible replacement plan, and/or taking them out of circulation completely, decide your next step.

Insurance might be a worthwhile consideration too.

<p>The only time I've had Nikon fix a camera they were quick and efficient - when they received the camera they provided a cost estimate. Not only was it reasonable but that's what they charged. I had the camera back and working within about 10 days.<br>

I'd definitely use them again in preference to any local camera repairer (I don't think we have an authorised Nikon repairer around here anyway)</p>

<p>On the second lens with the hair/scratch, have you taken any pictures with it since? Sometimes with something like that you can't see any difference in the photos.<br />On the first one, send it wherever you like and get an estimate. If it were a 70-200 2.8 yes it would be worth repairing. For an 18-200, it depends on how high/low the estimate comes in.</p>

Ok thanks everyone for the input. I think I'm going to scrap the 28-80 because I have gotten my money's worth out of it

and if I really want to replace it, which I doubt, I can do so cheaper than it would be to get it fixed. And to answer Craig's

question yes. I have no idea how long it has been that way but I only noticed it when I took my polarizer off to let more

light in (was not appropriate to set up tripod) and I was like huh? Why is one half of the mountain underexposed and

doesn't have any contrast.

I think I'll try APS or Nikon out. Going to do some more research before I send it off.

::sigh:: looks like I have to buy a new wide angle before going to the smokies. Hurray for expensive hobbies!

<p>I've had two Nikon broken lens experiences, both with Nikon El Segundo.</p>

<p>1. A 17-55 mm with a broken front element. The front element was replaced for between $200 and $300 per estimate. I felt it was quite reasonable; the lens was expensive and the lens functioned perfectly afterward. Their work was quick and efficient.</p>

<p>2. A 70~200 f 2.8 rolled out of my car when I opened the door when the car was overpacked. It broke internally in the barrel. I was given a price of about $550 to repair it. The next day there was a call to 'pick it up' -- it was 'repaired'. Astonished, I went to pick it up. A refurb lens without any way of telling it from a 'brand new' lens was awaiting me -- basically a $1750 lens that day. My relations with Nikon El Segundo are splendid, and such service is NOT PROMISED, but if you are gentle, respectable, speak to them nicely and go to the back of the line when they're slammed by customers -- if you show up in person . . . . who knows?</p>

<p>Perhaps that explains the importance of personal contact, and if you have good behavior, are not rich and can take in your lens personally (if in the LA area), they can be genuinely caring people. (Of course, I'm a HUGE Nikon customer, too, so I suppose that didn't hurt).</p>

<p>john<br>

<br />John (Crosley</p>

<p>FYI, Nikon service is not in El Segundo anymore, they moved to 6420 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 100, Los Angeles, CA 90048, a few blocks west of the museum row between Fairfax Ave. and San Vicente Blvd. (happily just a hop skip and jump away from me).</p>

<p>My only experience with Nikon repair was many years ago when they were in the Woodland Hills Warner Center, about a 40 min. drive from me. I went there in person and they were extremely nice. They replaced the entire lens/focus system for my Coolpix 995 in just a couple of days and it was better than new.</p>

<p>Not worth repairing. The 18-200 was at most worth $400 (going on KEH) and it would probably cost more than that for Nikon to repair (at $120 per hour plus parts).<br>

<br />Now its an opportunity to invest in some quality lenses and consider insurance. You can probably add it to your personal effects bit on your household insurance, so long as you are not earning a living with your photography. Even all risks insurance is not much of an impost.</p>