broken 50mm f/1.8

andrew_pandes

Why not open it , find the broken parts , epoxy them and put it back together. There should be more than 50% chance it would still work again. If not , then buy a new one.

At $80- it is beyond economical repair , As far as canon service is concerned.

To Joseph Carey: The Canon 50mm f/1.4 might *feel* more solid, but is actually more fragile than either of the 1.8 versions. The focus cams get bent very easily when the front of the lens is smacked. Also the AF mechanism has a fairly high failure rate even when not subjected to a blow. It is a better lens, and generally sharper, but unfortunately it is not more durable.

Andrew, get a new one if you can't fix it yourself. It's not worth the repair cost.

Used, the ebay price for this lens is likely to be much less than any conceivable repair cost [recent 'completed' prices on the Mark II version are between $50 to $90, new from B&H for about $80], tho' I'd certainly just for kicks try the epoxy approach suggested by mars. Cost you a few hours, might work, and will at least be educational.

It's the "plastic fantastic," this lens!

Right on Jim for telling it like it is and not sucking Andrew into the EF 1.4 pit.This lens is a piece of garbage and in the same if not worse league as the "new" 1.8 II for durability.I've complained about this before on this board and that seems to bring the "Canon Can Do No Wrong" defenders out of the woodwork.Find a early metal mount 1.8 in good shape or invest in the 50mm 2.5 Compact Macro if you want something that can take more than a love tap and not break the bank account.If you don't believe me call any of the major camera/lens repair facilities in this country and they will give you a earfull about these two dogs.FYI: avoid advise from numerous board members who advise you need to purchase the EF 50mm 1.2L - "because it is worth it".

It's not difficult to get this lens to pieces. I managed to repair one that had burst apart. It required a new flexible connector and two metal retaining rings; total cost GBP7.50 (USD15).

This http://www.ejarm.com/photo/ef5018iidis/ shows how to do it.

You need a size 0 or 00 cross head screwdriver, a soldering iron, and some cyanoacrylate glue. And some manual dexterity.

Henry

• 2 years later...

<p>As a note to future thread searchers, I've successfully repaired my broken 50mm with the process described in the above link. It's not very difficult; the hardest part is waiting for the superglue to completely dry before putting the lens back together.</p>

<p>The most common damage is a broken plastic tab; all of the insides of this lens except the glass and aperture housing are plastic. Just go easy on the superglue and give it plenty of time to dry before reassembly. Superglue fumes will permanently destroy the lens glass.</p>