"Brightscreen" vs "Maxwell Screen"

carlos_prado2

<p>Hi</p>

<p>I finally have the money to buy either a "brightscreen" or "Maxwell screen" for my Hasselblad.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.brightscreen.com/enter.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Brightscreen</a></p>

<p><a href="http://www.mattclara.com/maxwell/index.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Unofficial Maxwell Precision Optics Webpage</a></p>

<p>However, I have read some many favorable reviews for both, that I cannot make up my mind which to buy.</p>

<p>I would love to hear everyone's opinion regarding which of these two screens provides the best "SNAP FOCUS".</p>

<p>What I mean, is that I want to choose the screen that allows your eye to snap the subject into focus the easiest/fastest.</p>

<p>If anyone has owned both of these screens, please tell me which one you think helped you focus the fastest and had htat "contrasty" snap factor.</p>

<p>By the way, I plan to shoot holding the camera at waist level and looking down at the focus-screen without the aid of the WLF "magnifier".</p>

<p>Thanks everyone in advance.</p>

<p>I've had several Maxwell screens and they are good and he can customize them for your specific needs. However that said, the latest High D screens from Rollei are very good. I've never tried a brightscreen but am curious so if you go that route please report back.</p>

<p>I've never used the Maxell. I own three Bronica ETRS bodies. Several (maybe 20) years ago I put a Britescreen or an Intenscreen (can't recall which) into one of them. Today, they all look the same and my feelings are I should not have spent the money. You should also know that these screens often achieve the brighter effect at the cost of reduced contrast. Since the human eye relies on contrast to help focus, it's a downside IMO. YMMV.</p>

<p>That said I recall when Hasselblad came out with a new Acute-Matte screen system which produced a brighter but still contrasty image -- it was a revelation.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>I had a Maxwell put into a Pentax 67 some years ago. Good screen. But, it took about 8-10 weeks to get my camera back, with no communication in-between. I think he's doing better than that now, but you should ask.<br>

I also second the Rollei screen comment - I bought one for a TLR and had it installed by Marflex. Great screen.</p>

The Rollei screen will not fit his Hasselblad.<br><br>In the other incarnation of this same thread, it has been suggested to Carlos to get an Acute Matte screen. Better than both Maxwell and Brightscreen.<br><br>In another thread, Carlos is asking how to cut up his Hasselblad Acute Matte screen so it will fit in a Pentacon.<br><br>Carlos is having us on.

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I have a Maxwell screen in a 50s Rolleiflex (f/3.5 Tessar) and a Brightscreen in a 60s 3.5F (Planar). The Maxwell screen is noticeably brighter and more even, but the frame lines on the Brightscreen are more usable (2x2 dark lines (Brightscreen "#3 crop lines") vs. 4x4 thin lines) and the big microprism blob in the center of the Brightscreen is easier to focus with than the assist-free Maxwell screen. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Both are much nicer than the screen that the 3.5F arrived with.</p>

<p>Sheesh! The crappy (and very expensive in Tokyo) Rollei strap on the 3.5F just failed: the clip at one end exploded into four pieces (that I could find). And the stupid pin in the middle of the fitting on the camera means that a modern strap won't work. Yuck. At least it failed at home without resulting in a camera drop.</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I found very sad news on the Brightscreen web site. Posted 09/11/12<br>

<strong>"IMPORTANT:</strong><br>

<strong>We are very sad to report that the owner, founder and driving force behind Brightscreen Technologies, Jim Lakey has passed away. He went peacefully with his wife and daughter by his side.</strong></p>

<p>At this time it is uncertain whether operations at Brightscreen can continue, but we will look at every option in the weeks to come. If you have an order in with us currently, we will be in touch.<br>

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through this difficult time."<br>

</p>

• 6 months later...