Bridal Expos, are they worth it?

love schoolcraft

I was just contacted by a bridal expo that had a photographer drop out this

weekend, and they want me to fill the spot.

There will be about 350 Brides. There are only 55 vendors, and only 6 of them

are photographers. I am getting a discount rate of $400 for the booth

(normally its $795). Its an 8'x10' booth, and they make your banner up for

you. It is is Cleveland.

I am wondering if this is worth it. I have taken a few weddings, and have a

few more booked. I don't have a store front, and thought this would be a great

way of contacting potential brides.

What do yall think?

I have til 5 today to get back to her. Please let me know.

Thanks!

October shows can be hit or miss. January shows are a really good investment, but only worth it if you have a really nice booth. Photographers dump hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars on booth construction, framed photos, sample albums, and booth materials. You will have to do the same if you want to compete with them.

Later,

Paulsky

I agree with Thomas- fall shows are slow... BUT! - if you've never been in a show and it's only going to cost you $400 it might be a good experience- a way to get your feet wet before the January show.

You need at least two if not three good sample albums to have out on your table and at least one if not two sample bridal portraits 16x20 or larger- framed and on easels or hung on the back curtain.

And most important is some kind of brochure with your packages and business cards. They don't have to be fancy- just look decent and plenty of them.

If you've never been to a bridal show? Most bride's cruise the isles- flip through your book- pick up your brochure and your card and ask you if you have booked on their wedding date or not? Some will ask a question or two but most see what they want in your sample album. You'll notice that if you tell them their date is still available they may make that note on your brochure or card.

Spring is better for sure. Be prepared. Not just an album or 2 sitting on tables with a price sheet. That doesn't work at all because 5 to 10 other photographers have almost the same albums. Get creative... We had a cute bride from an old wedding, took off that head, hehe, took a pic of a future bride and added her head to the photo. Printed a 5X7 in B&W with the studio number, looked really corny but we did get a mess of contracts. This was our first bridal show in several years.

Depends on the show. Yours sounds way too small for me.

In fact, in San Diego, the only one I'm interested in is the Bridal Bizarre, which has thousands of visitors, lots of vendors.

I haven't done a show, yet, but I've done shows when I was in the jewelry business, and the rule of thumb was two things:

The size of the show, and your visability in the show (renting two boths is better for bigger shows, but you make more money than smaller shows, lots more.

Patrick

Bring Testimonials from B&G of past weddings. If they like your work tell them to put it in writing. I have about 10 letters from past B&G that I also show by saying let me show you a little about myself, my work also my recommendations, once had a couple tell me they knew the groom I called him right there on my cell and signed the contract on the spot, Get names and phone numbers nothing like a good follow up the rule of sales a client needs to be ask to buy 6 time to get the sale your booth is number 1, five to go, #2 call them at home, #3email, also take the time try and get appointment in their home, that?s #4 don't wait for them to call you back you call them!

Good Luck

Better 3 hours to early than a minute to late

W.S.