Braun Super Paxette II

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by ralf_j., Jun 7, 2007.

1. I had read previous posts about this unit, and quite a few of the regular posters here did not speak favorably of it. Well, I decided to create my own experiences with it if the price would be right. $18($8cost+$10shipping) later on fleaBay, and I had it in my hand.
    My unit came with a 45mm Cassarit F/2.8 in excellent shape with no scratches other than the usual film of dust from being parked in someone's attic/garage for few decades. It cleaned up nicely, and everything seemed in order except for the spring that brings the film advance lever in place. Well that did not bother me as i could just bring it back myself. This camera has a double stroke film advance and there were quite a few lenses made for it in a strange screw mount. The unit is quite small and a pleasure to use IMHO. I put two rolls through it and here are some of the results:
    Braun Super Paxette II

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Architecture near BCM
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

All Color Shots : Fuji Astia 100F, 1/125s, aperture around F/8, through Sony Circular Polarizer
    Manhattan Classic
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Church on 5th Avenue: 1/125s, f/8 on Agfa APX 100
    Clock Face: An aggresive crop reveals the capabilities of the 45mm Cassarit

[​IMG]

A Classic Fire Escape: 1/60s, f/2.8 on Agfa APX 100

2. Steinheil must have made millions of freaking 45mm f2.8 Cassars for different cameras. Its no show stopper, but personally Im a fan of lenses with a little personality. You see a little softness in the corners at f2.8 but it stops down for pretty sharp images and for $18 this looks like a really fun little camera. I know Ive seen the answer somewhere but I always wonder if Braun cameras are related to Braun Hair Clippers.

3. That was good timing, Ralf - I have just bought the same camera! Thanks for posting the images, it gives me a notion of what to expect (I haven't had a chance to run any film through it yet).

I think mine may be a little older or newer than yours, the casing is engraved with the full name Braun Super Paxette, and the lens is a Pointikar. I bought this camera on looks alone, really - the extreme compactness combined with the good, heavy build quality. Nice to see it performing so well.

4. Patrick - I think there might be a difference between Cassar and Cassarit, with the later being of a tessar formula, but I may be wrong. This is what it seems from counting the reflections on the elements. At any rate your assumption is right, it is the same company that made these cameras as well as the coffee makers and the electric shavers, http://www.braun.com.<p>
    AE Daly - thanks for your comments and enjoy your Paxette :)

5. If this thread's still around when I get some film back, I'll post any images that are good too.

(BTW, is it just me or is this whole thread displaying in italics?)

6. A E... obviously with a camera of this class you cant have people talking in boring old Roman characters!

7. Ralf... in this link:

http://cameracollector.proboards30.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=frills&thread=1148986334&page=1#1151303586

Someone mentions the Cassarit as being a triplet but with thicker front and rear elements than the standard Cassar. I think Steinheils Tessar design was called the "Culminar" and they had another lens called the "Quinar" which I would guess was a 5element design like a Planar?

8. Patrick - thanks very much for the information. I think I may have something to do with the italics by not properly closing one of the tags in my absent mided htm :). I will try and close it now. Did it work?

9. Nice results. I always enjoy using little rangefinders like that. I wonder how many other lenses were made for this camera's mount? I've gotten the impression that some mfrs made their lenses removable mostly as a marketing ploy, even if they never actually made any other lenses to fit.

10. Excellent.

11. $18? You did good. Color shots are nice, though I'm sure the polarizer helped with the contrast there. The fire escape? Very nice, though I would have tried to get things a little more squared up. But hey, that's me. I'm always impressed when old cameras are put to good use. Don't you just love it when you can show up the guys with the latest whiz-bang gimmickry?

12. Pretty nice shots. I had one of those with a Steinheil Super Quinon lens. It took sharp photos, but it was such a clunky camera to use, and it never felt right in my hands. Poor ergonomics.

13. I like the small size of both camera and controls. If I could change one thing, it would be that the aperture ring is outermost (just where you expect the focus ring to be).

14. awahlster

awahlster Moderator

There were a number of different std. lenses available for the Paxettes including a Tessar. I have quite a collection of these. The mount is M-39 it's the same thread as LTM but with a different registration distance.

Ivor Mantell did a great article in the UK mag Amathuer Photographer back in June of 2003 I was a contributing source!

I Have my dads among my collection which he bought new in about 58-59. The main short coming with these cameras is the crappy Prontor shutters. The rangefinder can be rebuilt but it's a PIA.

15. Hello Ralf, just to let you know that the camera manufacturer Carl Braun, Nuremberg, Germany, is not identical to Braun, the makers of electric razors etc., now a subsidiary of Gillette, USA. I included an image from an old catalog showing lenses and accessories for your old Paxette. Enjoy
    00LYN7-37046484.jpg

16. Hans - thanks for the info, it's always a pleasure to learn the origins of my classic cameras. I am very fond of German fot products of the classic periods and still try and look their cuurent websites should they still be in business. To my surprise some of them are, like balda and compur. It is sad to see them change focus and abandon their roots, but they still list these facts with pride in their company history.