brandy sniffer??

fertile_myrtle

Hi all!

My daughter is newly engaged and I'm taking on the task of hiring a photographer. This will be my

wedding present to her and I want to surprise her with only the best!

I'm finding it hard to find a photographer that will put her picture with her new husband in a brandy

sniffer. I have even looked quite a bit on the Internet and haven't seen any posted on the websites of

photographers who otherwise seem to be very talented.

My daughter and I have our hearts set on this classic look.

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Myrtle

You will be hard pressed to find any wedding photographer who will do this for you. I would say some wedding photographers probably have never seen this image, which was popular in the 60s and 70s. Back then, it was done by double exposing an image of the brandy glass with an image of the happy couple, in the camera, using masks in front of the lens. I have done this the old way, and I have done it the new way, which is combining these images digitally in Photoshop. It is much more successful the latter way since you have much more control. You may be able to find a photographer willing to do the two parts and then combine them in Photoshop, given that you can find a good example of the image to show that photographer. Any photographer handy with Photoshop should be able to do it. However, since most photographers have much disdain for "cheesy double exposures", you will have to ask around. Photographers capable of doing the Photoshop work may not want to do it. Maybe you have such an example in your wedding album?

In fact, if you find a photographer willing to do this, I would volunteer my brandy glass shot--I probably have it around here somewhere. I did such a shot some years ago on the request of a bride interested in re-creating some of the "cheesy" shots from her mother's wedding album, shot in the 60s.

Wow thanks for the replies! What do you pros call this style? I absolutely love it! Technology

is a wonderful thing!

This is exactly what I was looking for. As a matter of fact I did have a portrait of my own shot

in this same style but sadly my wedding album went missing when I moved several years ago.

I'm located in Eureka, CA. I think I will show these images to prospective photographers. It is

truly a dealbreaker for me and now I can easily convey my vision.

Its a delight to see all the examples of beautiful shots!

("Fertile Myrtle" is a nickname my children gave me because I have quite the green thumb!)

Hello again!

What a beautiful image Mr. Morgan! It's very romantic with that extra touch of class. I think

my daughter will really love it. She specifically wants me to find a photographer who

specializes in "romantic moments" and "telling a story" so I think she'll be thrilled with

such an emotional image! You can just feel the love between the bride and groom in that

photo!

Thank you all again for your advice. It will most certainly help me in my searches knowing

that it is actually a "snifter". I believe I will take what I've learned here and search in my

area for a local photographer with these talents.

Seeing all the variation I can't help but wonder... what other wonderful wedding images

might be created with the magic of computers? The Christmas ornament theme would be

darling for Christmas cards. The wedding is planned for October- perhaps the happy

couple in a pumpkin? What fun!

Sarah--I'll e-mail it to you.

You may not like this type of image but it was popular during the 60s and 70s, so whatever you think of it, it is a fact, isn't a joke, and some people like these images, then and now. It does help to learn about the history of your craft and use that information to broaden your own horizons without prejudice, even if it is to say that you'll never do these. I personally don't like them either, just as I don't particularly like overdone PS effects, but I did these on my customers' requests.

By the way, Myrtle, this type of image doesn't have a style name. Maybe say "traditional" wedding photography when describing it, or "double exposed". You will find many younger photographers will have no idea what you are talking about. Almost no one does this kind of thing as a matter of course any more--just for a specific reason such as the one I described above--a deliberate retro look.

A few days ago I had a bride, during our initial meeting, ask for selective coloring of the bouquet and have the rest of the image in black and white.

I merely said that's no problem ... she loved the idea which was evident from her request and expression and that's all that matters.

Learning to listen to the bride and groom is an active, living and important process in wedding photography ... sometimes difficult to balance our personal taste with the client's desires but there's a lot of satisfaction when you see reaction and smiles.

I'll add a bit of Gaussian blur and jazz the black and white a bit to add some zest and watch her smile and enjoy the art of her choosing.

William said "Learning to listen to the bride and groom is an active, living and important process in wedding photography."

I would agree with this, and note that it's a philosophy not just limited to photography, wedding or otherwise. Anytime you've got customers, they're the boss. Yes, you can *try* to steer them from bad ideas that simply won't turn out as good as they're imagining, but in the end, if they want it, you have to provide it. Even if you think it's a cheesy idea, take comfort in the fact it's not your mantle it will hang over, it's their's, so give them what they want.

Fertile thoughts and ideas at any rate. I suspect that there are plenty of brides who'd simply love a snifter shot! There is so much in photography that's been done in the past and then forgotten. It'd be so easy to do with Photoshop. Heck, you could even do one in black and white with a single bright red rose on the table next to the snifter. Combine 1967 and 2007 styles!

Hello again...

Wow I'm so surprised to learn that people think this is a joke! I appreciate the help that

some of you provided. My daughter is 26 and perhaps the joke is on me. I showed her

some of the samples with which I was so kindly provided and she became positively

devastated and I have subsequently lost my "assignment" of hiring a photographer.

Apparently when she said "classic" and "timeless" she had a very different vision than

myself. It appears she agrees with some of you that feel this look is dated and cheesy. Oh

well!

If getting your picture in a brandy snifter is as easy as some of you say it is, I'll simply

procure my own set of prints for that sole purpose and find someone with a nifty talent for

"photoshop". Then we'll both get what we want!

Again, thank you for the help!

<p><em>I think retro or vintage is pretty cool and so do a lot of young brides, at least in

Europe.</em></p>

<p>Peter, you must be talking about a different part of Europe. If you tried to sell a 'brandy

snifter' shot like this in London you wouldn't get much work... :-) Classic b+w photography is

definitely ultra popular (especially highly stylised shots like Harpers Bazaar or Vogue from the

60s) but not really this kind of thing.</p>