Bracketing with D90

gej_jones

<p>I need your help!<br>

I know it possible to setup my D90 to bracket with a 1EV and three-shots? Here is my question: Can I do this by pushing the shutter release button only once? Will the camera take three exposures automatically, bracketing the exposures?<br>

If the answer is Yes, can someone please give me the step by step process to make this happen. I've searched my manual, Mastering the Nikon D90 and the internet. I really can't figure out how to make this work without pushing the shutter release button three times.<br>

Feel free to 'talk down to me'. My goal is to learn how to do this, if it's possible.<br>

Thank you for helping. </p>

<p>Do you have the shutter release mode set to S (single frame)?</p>

<p>Like Howard, I'm too lazy to look as well, but I know on my D200 you need to have the shutter release set to L or H (Continuous Low / High, pg. 64 in your D90 manual) for a bracketing burst. Hold the shutter release down with the release mode set to L or H, and it will shoot the the number of frames you have programmed for your bracket burst (3,5, 7, etc) and then stop.</p>

<p>Depress the bracket button on side of camera near flash button. spinning the rear wheel will set the number of exposures between 1 and 3 exposures. Then set the stops on the front wheel ..I usually use 1 full stop between each bracket. The last step is to set the numbers of frames ..I set to high ..or 4.5 frames per second. The camera will now take three quick burst each frame will be different..for example one a 250 one at 500 one at 1000. I might add that you start out with the meter at neutral in manual mode...or a perfect exposure..and go from there. Now this is the part that always confuses me..if you put the camera on aperture priority..it will change the shutter speed for the three bursts..changing it to 250 500 1000..if you put camera on shutter priority..it will change the aperture one at correct one over one under. You can put the frame rate at S or single..and depress the shutter one frame at a time as well.<br>

I hope this helps.<br>

Just an added note..I have my D90 set to 1/2 stops..in menu -metering/exposure under b1..so when bracketing you are getting 1 stop when you put it on 1. I found the 1/3 was overkill for me..<br>

mary</p>

<p>Gej,</p>

<p>As author of <strong>Mastering the Nikon D90</strong> , I'd like to help you resolve your problem. Turn to page 202 in your book, and look for a gray box on the top right with the heading, "Note About Bracketing." It has the following text explaining how to resolve your problem:</p>

<p>"In any bracketing situation, except White Balance (WB) bracketing, you can set your camera’s Release mode to L (CL) or H (CH), and fire off the frames of the bracket in one continuous burst. The camera will know how many frames to fire and will stop when the bracket is complete. White balance bracketing works differently, in that all you have to do is press the shutter button once and the camera takes the one image, makes a copy, and applies the different WB Bracketing values to each image. It then saves the two images with their differing WB settings, under different file names. (See Chapter 3, White Balance.)"</p>

<p>If this doesn't solve your problem, please come back here and ask more questions. I'll follow this thread and try to help you.</p>

<p>- <strong>Darrell Young</strong> , Author: Mastering the Nikon D90</p>

<p>Thank you to everyone for helping me understand what I was doing wrong. <br>

Bracketing is working fine and I now know that I have to hold the shutter release button down until the camera has completed its task. Really pretty simple but it took me longer than normal to 'get it'. Thank you very, very much.</p>