BR 2 ring

mark45831

I picked up a box of Nikon gear for just a couple dollars that had 2 cameras, 2 motor drives 2 lens a bunch of filters and this BR 2 ring, Was trying to see if it would work on my D750 but not to sure of the clearness . I do not see much in my search if this will work, any one if its safe?

I picked up a box of Nikon gear for just a couple dollars that had 2 cameras, 2 motor drives 2 lens a bunch of filters and this BR 2 ring, Was trying to see if it would work on my D750 but not to sure of the clearness . I do not see much in my search if this will work, any one if its safe?

It's a reversing ring, to mount a lens backwards. You screw the ring into the filter threads of the lens (52mm thread size only) and mount the ring to the camera. Good for macrophotography with a suitable lens.

Yes, it's safe to use on a D750 or any other F-mount body. Of course, the lens will become fully manual, without even automatic diaphragm operation.

• Like 1

Tell us what you got!!!

Lol. was wondering how long it would take for that question, EL2, looks mint and everything seems to work right, AW-1, also works, FE, looks good but only fires on M90, fresh battery did no good, no check light comes on either , a MD-11. that works great, 28mm 2.8 AI, 50mm f2 AI, both are clean, 8 FX filters, 2 old straps, manuals for both camera's, some PC cords, Sunpak Auto 411 flash and a canvas Nikon Bag, + the BR2.

It's a reversing ring, to mount a lens backwards. You screw the ring into the filter threads of the lens (52mm thread size only) and mount the ring to the camera. Good for macrophotography with a suitable lens.

Yes, it's safe to use on a D750 or any other F-mount body. Of course, the lens will become fully manual, without even automatic diaphragm operation.

Thanks I wasnt sure, I had read one where it said it might hit the PC contacts and mess them up.

IME, these are best used on bellows anyway since you otherwise loose any ability to close focus.

I've never had an issue with a BR2 on any camera, but that's mostly because it's usually stuck on the end of my PB4 or alternatively my much more compact(but not as good) Novoflex bellow.

• Like 1

The BR-2 (or 2A) is pretty useless attached directly to a camera body anyway. It's meant to be used in conjunction with a bellows to get extremely high magnification from 'normal' lenses.

A unit-focussing lens attached directly to a camera via a BR-2 cannot be focussed, since the helicoid then simply moves the body of the lens while the optics remain stationary.

Infernal Focussing lenses will probably work, but there's really no point in reversing a lens unless you intend to use it for high magnifications.

• Like 2

The BR-2 (or 2A) is pretty useless attached directly to a camera body anyway. It's meant to be used in conjunction with a bellows to get extremely high magnification from 'normal' lenses.

A unit-focussing lens attached directly to a camera via a BR-2 cannot be focussed, since the helicoid then simply moves the body of the lens while the optics remain stationary.

Infernal Focussing lenses will probably work, but there's really no point in reversing a lens unless you intend to use it for high magnifications.

I have never really looked in to bellows, but what would be a decent Nikon bellows to get to experiment with?

PB 3, PB 4 or PB 5 would work with the BR 2 - but those are film era. There are also compatible slide copying attachments PS 4 and 5, which work with the latter two. Have them, in the contest of the current technology, they are capable, but seem clumsy. Rarely use mine.

I really like my PB4 bellows, which I think are the only ones that offer tilt-shift. Some may consider that a gimmick, but with how narrow the DOF is in macro shots, I have at times used a small amount of tilt to my advantage. Some larger DSLRs take a bit of gymnastic to fit(D800 class), and single digit DSLRs won't fit unless you use an extension tube.

The PB6 are a bit newer, lose the tilt-shift, but have a bit more extension. On the other side of that, the minimum extension is longer than the PB4.

Another vote for the PB-4. Although attaching it to a DSLR while avoiding the prism overhang is a bit of an issue. Basically the bellows needs to be fitted 'sideways' and then rotated upright once fitted.

Before I got the PB-4, I quite happily used a set of old Pentax bellows with an M42-to-Nikon (non-lensed) adapter on the thread. The business end is fitted with an M42-to-LTM39 adapter to take enlarging lenses. Quality enlarging lenses (Componons, Rodagons, etc.) are excellent for macro work, and need no reversing adapter.

I like the PB-4 too, ok it takes some fiddling to set it up, but with some adapter rings it is wonderfull with may different lenses.

The BR2 / BR2-a rings are also usefull compined with the PK11a - PK13 tubes and lenses like the 20mm F3.5 lenses and the like, although focussing means moving the camera fotr the latter..

• 4 weeks later...

I have used the original BR2 on film and digital bodies and have yet to damage any of the camera body connection pins.

I sometimes use a Vivitar bellows, full rig, PB5, look-a-like. It has a convertible copy stand and attachments for slide and 35mm roll copying.

(If you would like to see maximum coverage and larger than 1:1, a 24mm, reversed is difficult, but doable.)

I wanted to do some high-mag film copying, and reached the limit of what my (considerable) collection of enlarging lenses could comfortably cope with in normal - forward - orientation.

"No problem" I thought "I'll just get a Leica-thread mount lens reverser". Only to find that there's no such animal, apparently.

So it looks like a good ole T2 mount bodge with a 43mm filter holder screwed into it will have to do the job.

Still can't believe that the web can't furnish me with a 39mm thread lens reverser. Leica users obviously aren't into serious macro.

• Like 1