Boy Scout Photography merit badge pamphet cover.

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by Gary Nakayama - SF Bay Area, California, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Developing and darkroom :)

#1 - Focusing scale, does not even exist on many of the new cameras.
    Not to mention bellows.

#3 - Chemicals in a developer and fixer. Unless I read the box/can, I could not tell you than even when was developing/printing.
    I wonder if the 1948 requirements were based on mixing your own chemicals from scratch, which I never did.

2. Your dad is alright in my book :D

3. That would be a photo I'd have killed to have seen, much less just be here to see it.

I am an unapologetic steamboat fan, and consider it a great shame that politics and stubborness may never allow the beautiful Delta Queen to be under steam again.

I wish that the Belle of Louisville regularly ventured further than its "normal" ~6 mile track in downtown Louisville. I know some prime riverfront places where I'd love to catch it during a midnight cruise, but I don't think it travels that far and there are too many lights right in downtown.

As for merit badges-I never was a scout, but when I was in college I worked several times with groups on doing the Chemistry merit badge. The Scouts worked with my college to set up a one day "workshop" every year where several merit badges were offered-after we were done with Chemistry I'd always go and observe the Model Railroading badge which was done by someone not affiliated with the school but who I knew through the local club.

In any case, I think that the Chemistry merit badge COULD have been done at home. Part of it included a lecture with demonstrations, though, which I think helped give a more complete picture. The experiments were designed to be done with stuff around the house, and I made a couple of last minute runs to the grocery store over the years because we wanted to actually use "household supplies." Of course, we got in a few other pinches where we made something equivalent to a household item from stuff on hand, but that was usually a last resort.

4. There was an accompanying sound to the sight that night......Probably what woke Dad up.

Note the lady playing at the end when she takes a bow....

5. Folks in Louisville get annoyed at it, but when I see the tell-tale cloud of steam coming from the Belle at the waterfront I have to roll down my windows and smile.

This is probably more than anyone cares to know, but the 24 whistles on the Delta Queen are part of a set of three known as the "three sisters" built the well-known calliope maker Nichols(BTW, folks on riverboats prefer the pronunciation "Cally-ope" or just call it a "steam piano). All three went on riverboats, and one of those went onto the then Str. Idlewild in the mid 1920s(a boat which would later become the Avalon and then the Belle of Louisville).

The Str. Avalon Calliope was sold separately from the boat in 1964, and was bought by the former master. The last I heard, he still had it in his garage in New Orleans and occasionally hooks up an air compressor and plays it. One of the other instruments was on a boat that sank, and the whistles were salvaged. I THINK those are the ones on the Delta Queen. I forget the lineage of the third, but it's now in self-contained wagon owned by IUPUI.

Then, back in 1994, someone took on the project of making a reproduction fitting for the Str. Belle of Louisville, which hadn't really had a satisfactory calliope since 1964. They measured the Delta Queen and IUPUI whistles, and cast a pretty darn faithful(very near identical) replica. 25 years later, that instrument is still serving the Belle well.

As a side note, somewhere along the way the Delta Queen whistle bells were gold plated. Given their location on the boat, it made sense as keeping the bare brass looking nice was a nightmare. Unfortunately, many folks almost immediately noticed a change in sound. Recordings aren't always faithful, but I've heard it played(in person) next to the Belle calliope and the Delta Queen whistles definitely lost their "shrill" edge and have a more mellow sound after being plated. Blindfolded, I couldn't tell the difference between the IUPUI calliope and the Belle, but the Delta Queen does stand out. Still, it's a pleasure to me to hear any of them, and I wish we could hear the Queen on the rivers again.

Moving On likes this.
  6. That would be a great Scout photography trip.....
    "Cally-ope"...Funny you should mention that, that's what Grandady used to call them.

7. Vincent Peri

Vincent Peri Metairie, LA

ben_hutcherson and Moving On like this.
  8. I did earn the Photography merit badge about 45 years ago.

About 10 years ago, I signed up to be a counselor for it in Seattle, but have had no
    requests by any scouts interested.

I forget now which camera was on the cover when I did mine.

9. I'm trying to remember what picture was on the cover of the merit badge book around 1960. I don;t recall keeping any of that stuff, and if I did it will be buried in an outbuilding. I have a probably unreliable memory of an Argus "brick" appearing somewhere there though.

The cover shown in the link above does not look familiar, either in picture or format, and I'm sure my book was at least one printing earlier.

Oh wait, here it is, I think - a folder of some sort I think, but the badge itself looked a bit brickish

Scouting Memorabilia :: National BSA Issued Items :: Books & Paper :: Merit Badge Books :: Type 6 MBP Picture Top Red Bottom 1953 - 1965 :: Photography MBP

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  10. The Str. Natchez was designed by the late marine architect Alan Bates(who just passed away a few years ago). He knew more about Mississippi River-type steamboats than anyone alive. Among other things, he saw to the refitting and refurbishment of the Belle of Louisville both after the city purchased it in 1964 and after it sank in 1997. I never got the chance to meet him, but when I first took an interest he was a regular contributor to a steamboat message board probably 10 or 12 years ago. He wrote a few definitive volumes-one on the Belle of Louisville specifically, and another general(and very technically heavy) one on steamboat design and history in general. I keep meaning to drive over to the Howard Steamboat museum and pickup copies of both.

With the Natchez, he set out to design both the most beautiful and authentic looking sternwheel steamboat of the modern era. I have to say that he successful. Also, interestingly enough, the first and long-time master of the Natchez was Capt. Doc Hawley. He has served as master of 3 of the 5 surviving paddlewheel steamboats-the Belle(under the name Avalon), the Delta Queen, and the Natchez. He's also the owner of the original Belle of Louisville Calliope--as I mentioned he bought it separately from the boat when it was sold.

The Natchez competed along side the Delta Queen and Belle of Louisville in the Kentucky Derby Steamboat Race exactly once, and left both of them in the dust. Since steamboat races have a long and storied tradition of unfair play, the organizers banned the Natchez from any further entry :) . (it's worth mentioning that Alan Bates was on record as saying that even the Belle of Louisville/Delta Queen races had lost any modicum of realism because the Belle had gained too much weight over the years to even be remotely competitive with the larger and more powerful DQ).

Moving On likes this.