Bowens Gemini Esprit Digital - question

les

As far as I know, the manufacturer does not specify fan cooling or auto-dump.

Does this mean that they do NOT have fan, and NO auto-dump ?

If not, then a question:

1) How do they work with a softbox ? Are there any problems with overheating ?

2) How is power adjustment (down) being done if there is not auto-dump ? I guess the flash needs to be fired

after power adjustment has been done to lower level, and it will recharge at the new level ?

I am still trying to figure out what to buy - currently it is between Hensel Integra Pro Plus and Bowens Gemini

Esprit Digital

Hensel has 300W modeling light (vs 250W for Bowens), has fan cooling and auto-dump function, and its radio remote

can adjust power remotely (big plus). But Bowens can be powered not only from the mains, but also from 12VDC

battery pack - which makes it portable - not so with Hensel...

The Bowens Gemini Digitals have auto-dump. It is even possible to turn the auto-dump on and off. The Bowens

Gemini Digitals are not fan cooled. However, I use them eight-ten, even twelve hours a day in studio without a

problem. The 250w modeling lamps are pretty much generic and standard. I don't consider that an important aspect

of the system. You could try using 300w modeling bulbs in them.

IMO, the most important features are the 1/10 f-stop adjustment increment, and things like the selectable output

display in joules or f-stop relative. I use the joule output level display and record that information in setup

spreadsheets for each of my shots in studio. Being able to use the Bowens Gemini Digitals with the Bowens/Calumet

Travel-Pak+ battery system is another important and invaluable feature. That feature alone makes them a great

purchase. My ability to light outdoor/remote shoots where AC power is not available has been priceless. If the

Bowens did have fan cooling, it would need to have an on-off setting

for the fan when using them on battery power. Otherwise the battery would never last.

I would recommend that you download the PDF manuals from the bowensusa.com web site to get a better idea about

the details of their features and how to use the LED interface to control them.

http://www.bowensusa.com/

The auto-dump and other features are clearly documented in the PDF manual available online.

Thanks a lot. The info on the Bowens USA site is really useful. The flash looks good - but I do not think it is for me. I hate "digital" controls, with menus operated by sequential clicking of buttons. I guess this pretty much excludes Hensel too.

What I need - is something which is simple and uncomplicated. I guess WhiteLightning looks better and better.

The controls on the "digital" versions of the flashes are (IMHO) a lot of BS. They have been designed by someone who probably is not using the flashes, and the ergonomics was tested while sitting in a chair at the desk.

This is a common problem with design today - I should know, I have been doing design myself for more than 20 years, and it makes me cry to see what people are coming up with - because this is cheaper, or looks good, or because it is easier to do.

Actually, the Bowens Gemini Digital controls are about as simple as simple gets.

Most of the time, operation involves turning a single dial to adjust the output level.

Usage of the settings menu occurs only rarely, maybe once a month when an unusual setting is needed. Even when in the menu system, turning the dial is used to perform most navigation. It is quite intuitive, nearly elegant. The Bowens Gemini Digital units store all their settings in EEPROM, where they reside permanently until changed. The design is similar to the settings management on most computer laser printers.

The digital units provide precise output controls, with precise indication of the light output level on the LED. It is nice to be able to see the precise light output level in joules on the LED readout from where ever I stand in the studio or on location. Given all the foregoing, the Bowens Gemini Digital is the exact opposite of BS. Digital control on a lighting unit is no more BS than having digital camera.

In fact, I can't wait until Bowens implements remote control via USB they way that Profoto has, so that all the lights and their output levels can be controlled from a single computer, so that I don't need to climb on a step ladder to turn the output dial. The biggest problem with Profoto's equipment is that it is so ridiculously over priced that buying it would make me feeling like a sucker. I would rather buy lenses and/or upgrade camera bodies, computer equipment and software, which seems like much better value for money.

Bowens is actually the company that invented the concept of mono lights. The Bowens Gemini Digitals have more features for the money than most mono-lights available at twice the price.

Thanks again.

Leif - the first time I looked at the PDF file it was for DX version - and all controls are via buttons only. But - you are right, Gemini Digital has a rotating knob - which is a bit of a relief. The DX is a strictly studio setup (and they have cooling fans), while Digital has no fan, but it can be powered by a battery.

Howard - yes, I did have a look at a pic of the rear panel for Integra Pro Plus 500: the knob is there :)

I really like the fact that flash power and modeling light can be controlled via their radio transmitter - no cables and no climbing the ladder.

One has to wonder why other manufacturers don't dump the controls on the flash head altogether, and instead make a nice hand-held remote controller.

One reason that advances in studio lighting technology have been slower than those in core camera gear is because

it is a niche business, that operates on a much smaller scale than the camera companies. The market size for

studio lighting equipment is tiny compared to that for camera gear. The lighting companies operate as much for

love of the craft as for market.

People have to be really serious to spend the $5,000.00-$10,000.00 reasonable minimum investment for studio

lighting equipment. With each monolight at about $600.00, each battery at $600.00, it is easy to spend $5,000.00

to $6,000.00 on mono-lights and batteries alone. Then there is the cost of stands, soft boxes, umbrellas, radio

controllers, backgrounds, and so on. Add to this $20,000.00 for camera equipment, $10,000.00 - $20,000.00 for

computer hardware, backup hard drives, software (Full Adobe CS3 is $2,500.00), and the market for people that

involved with photography is pretty small. One good thing is that lighting equipment lasts a long time.

However, the advances are coming slowly. Despite that, in a few years I imagine most of the top line companies

will have computer controlled lighted with software applications like Profoto's to management them.

- - - -

Another note about Bowens lights is a detail that many people miss. It is the stand mount on Bowens lights. The

stand mount is very strong with a rotating tooth grip like that found on music keyboard stands. It is worlds

apart from the crap mounts on all but a few other lighting systems. The Bowens stand mount is the only one that

can handle the weight of large softboxes at unusual angles without slipping.

Yes, I have noticed the rotating grip - and I like it.

In terms of how much to spend - I have a decent comp, CS3, all camera equipment I may wish for (well, there is a couple of things I would still like to get) - and I can spend about $6K on monolights, stands and softboxes. I just need to think real hard about what to get.

I would suggest purchasing a single mono-light unit first, to work with a bit and see if you really like it,

before purchasing a complete set. If you are going to use it with softboxes, you will need have duty light

stands. In another thread, I mentioned this with the link to the kind I use:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/MF6065/

I purchase most of my support and ancillary gear from Calumet. By the way, Calumet actually owns Bowens and

various other major photo studio equipment companies. The Calumet brand "Travelite" is actually made by Bowens,

but have slightly different, usually fewer, features. When purchasing Bowens/Calumet accessories, like the barn

doors, the beauty dish and so on, you will notice that the labels say "Calumet/Bowens" on it.

Don't forget that you will need PocketWizards, a Sekonic, 358 (or better), light meter with pocketwizard support,

and countless other minor studio tools.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/SE4052K/