Bought my first Nikon DSLR!

hyunyu

<p>I just placed an order for a new Nikon D200 DSLR (body only) and a 50mm f/1.8D lens. My first Nikon purchase!</p>

<p>I shoot photos purely as a hobby and for the fun of it, for the family and friends. This is not my first DSLR, having Canon 30D and 450D. I don't necessarily feel any brand loyalty in that I see cameras and lenses as tools to achieve the end results I seek. For a long time I've been wanting to experience the design philosophies and handling of other DSLR makers. When I saw the Best Buy sale for D200 for $599, I thought it was too good to pass up.</p>

<p>So I'm pretty excited to get my hands on the D200 and start playing around with it. I'd appreciate any advice from the D200 users. Also, any insight from those who've used both Nikon and Canon DSLRs would be welcome! I do plan on getting the SB-600 flash sometime. Finally--is the HR-2 rubber hood the only one that fits the 50mm f/1.8D lens?</p>

<p>Thank you all.</p>

<p>Congratulations - I think you'll really enjoy the ergonomics and construction of that body. And that 50/1.8, especially for the price, is a treat (though I suspect you'll be longing for a wider lens soon!). <br /><br />You'll find the D200 to be at its most useful when you strive for a good solid exposure (push that histogram a bit to the right). Don't wait too long before shooting and working with RAW files. You can download a free trial copy of Nikon's Capture NX2, and have some really powerful tools to work with in that regard.</p>

<p>I'm really tempted by that D200. I don't shoot a lot of high-ISO stuff, and something tells me that the ruggedness of a D200 might be something I'd appreciate, plus the slightly bigger size. 6MP is plenty for most of what I shoot, so 8MP would be just SLAMMIN!</p>

<p>Not much of an upgrade from a D50 these days though. I guess I should save and wait for a D90, but man, 600 bucks! I'm tempted (gotta act fast I guess...)</p>

<p>I've owned a D40, D50, and D80 before my D200. I find the D200 to blow them all away. I still have my D40 and was intending to keep it for its size/weight and high ISOs, but after I used the 200 for a bit I went back to try my D40 and it felt terrible in my hands. I looked through the viewfinder and thought something was wrong with it at first!</p>

<p>I hope you enjoy your new toy!</p>

<p>Congratulations! The D200 is a great camera.</p>

<p>The AF 50/1.8 D lens just takes 52mm threaded hoods in the filter threads so both the HR-1 and the HR-2 should fit. I'm still using an inexpensive 52mm screw-in rubber hood I picked up over twenty years ago for a Canon 50/1.4 FD.</p>

<p>Amazing deal at $600.00..What a great buy. I paid $1249.00 for mine a couple years ago. It's a workhorse of a camera..The newer models have live view which put them into the point and shoot category and the D90 has the camcorder function which puts it into the soccer Mom point and shoot category, so enjoy the D200 as it's the last camera of it's kind. I am tempted to pick up a second body.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Hyun, welcome to the yellow label club! I got my D200 about a year ago, mighty good piece of kit. I'd definitely suggest getting the SB600 (or 800) if you can soon. It helps so much (in my limited experience). Also, extra batteries! The D200 sucks batteries, especially when using the lcd. Shutting off auto image review helps alot. I carry up to 3 nowadays, as if I use my off camera flash frequently, the batteries goes down really fast.</p>