Bought 25 years ago and need some advice pls.

petedyer

Hi

Some 25 years ago when I was working in Copenhagen (a great city) I purchased at the antique market in Lyngby, a:

Welta Garant with cable release in original case plus autoknipe haka mod 1 plus pollux rangefinder plus a special lens addition:

Rodenstock trinar anastigmat 1:3.8f -10.5cm no 754270

Would be most obliged if you would suggest its approx value as I have hit hard times during covid.

It's been looked after lovingly for 25 years: I just look at it, and am not an expert, and admire its beauty.

kindest

pete

• Like 1

Welcome to photo.net. There's an old thread about the Garant, with some indication of value, here:

LINK - - - Welta Garant

It's a typical 1930's 6x9 folding roll film camera. It doesn't seem to be at all common, I hadn't heard of the Garant until reading your post. I don't think there will have been enough sales of these to establish a value but it's not going to be a great amount I'm afraid - unless the rarity attracts a couple of rival bidders on an auction site. The rangefinder and Autoknips self timer will add to the value as a set, individually they are not worth a great deal.

How much did you pay for it? Values probably haven't changed that much.

• Like 1

Welcome to photo.net. There's an old thread about the Garant, with some indication of value, here:

LINK - - - Welta Garant

It's a typical 1930's 6x9 folding roll film camera. It doesn't seem to be at all common, I hadn't heard of the Garant until reading your post. I don't think there will have been enough sales of these to establish a value but it's not going to be a great amount I'm afraid - unless the rarity attracts a couple of rival bidders on an auction site. The rangefinder and Autoknips self timer will add to the value as a set, individually they are not worth a great deal.

How much did you pay for it? Values probably haven't changed that much.

Dear John,

thankyou for taking the trouble to respond: in those days I was doing rather well and bought 3 separate items from the dealer: a rare Swedish glass; rare Jensen Silver cufflinks, and paid what I thought was fair. I think the camera was about £350 or so but I did take the Glass and Silver to Bonhams and they were impressed and thought I had been treated well by the supplier.

I must admit it has been a joy enjoying all 3 items. The price appreciation is disappointing: I normally tend to double my prices over 10 years: I have an interest in silver and paintings and 1000 other things. These days I have been selling to make ends meet

Many thanks again for your kindness

pete

Alas, old film cameras, even genuinely rare ones, are not worth much now. Although my interests are in later cameras, I can't imagine that it's worth anywhere close to

£350 today. With cameras lately you'd be lucky to quarter your value every ten years. I think the values would be less than given in John Seaman's 2007 link above.

All collectibles seem to be down now, but old cameras must be one of the worst "investments" against inflation.

• Like 1

Alas, old film cameras, even genuinely rare ones, are not worth much now. Although my interests are in later cameras, I can't imagine that it's worth anywhere close to

£350 today. With cameras lately you'd be lucky to quarter your value every ten years. I think the values would be less than given in John Seaman's 2007 link above.

All collectibles seem to be down now, but old cameras must be one of the worst "investments" against inflation.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond: loving-kindness during these difficult times. I will hold and enjoy!

• Like 1

"McKeown's Price Guide to Antique and Classic Cameras" (2005 2006) lists the Welta Garant c 1937 at $50-75. I don't know about the lenses and other gear.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond: loving-kindness during these difficult times. I will hold, enjoy and pass on to my son who has taken up photography as a hobby.

• Like 2

Many thanks for taking the time to respond: loving-kindness during these difficult times. I will hold, enjoy and pass on to my son who has taken up photography as a hobby.

If your son has gotten into photography, giving the camera and related gear to him would be far more worthwhile than any money you could recoup form ya sale. Learning to use an old camera such as this is rewarding and fun. Sadly such a camera isn't worth too much, but photos taken with by him it could have greater value for your family.

Best luck in everything!

• Like 2

If your son has gotten into photography, giving the camera and related gear to him would be far more worthwhile than any money you could recoup form ya sale. Learning to use an old camera such as this is rewarding and fun. Sadly such a camera isn't worth too much, but photos taken with by him it could have greater value for your family.

Best luck in everything!

Many thanks for your sage advice: sorry for the delay in responding

• Like 1